VBR in Avi files.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
So I want to cut certain ... uh ... parts from longer ... movies. Most of the movies I have are in VBR and virtual dub tells me the audio/video sync will be off by x amount unless I "decompress the ENTIRE audio stream and recompress at a constant bitrate." I've been doing that for a while but I'm kinda sick of it. Even on my 3.4 ghz cpu it takes around 2-4 hours depending on how high the video bitrate is. What I'm wondering is if there is an easier way to convert VBR to CBR and maintain the audio/video sync?

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

:eek:

that warning is talking about the audio only, not the video! audio encoding should take no more than 20 min. please don't tell me you've been encoding CBR video, which horribly degrades quality!

anyway vdub does not handle vbr audio (although the latest has limited vbr support). use virtualdubmod instead, you will not have to reencode anything, just click "no" when it gives you the warning, it'll turn out fine :)

I'd been seperating the video and wav audio and doing a recompress in either vdub or dr divx. I'll check the mod out and see what happens.

Thanks

No luck with the mod. The audio and video are terribly out of sync when I try edit it out. I'll see if anything else works.

Reps for the effort.

its pretty much guaranteed to work, make sure you select "direct stream copy" mode for the video :)

What I did this time is set the video to direct stream copy and set the audio to full processing mode and then I set it to recompress the audio using Lame @ 192 and looks like it worked. Took about 20 minutes like you said and I didn't have to redo the video. Awesome, many thanks!

we should be able to beat that, should only take seconds, or as fast as your hard disk can go.

when you open the avi file, click 'no' to the warning. set direct stream copy for video and audio (audio is set to direct stream copy by default anyway). select points you wish to cut at, save as avi :)

it'll just do a straight cut at the nearest keyframe and dump onto hard disk

vertigo said:
we should be able to beat that, should only take seconds, or as fast as your hard disk can go.

when you open the avi file, click 'no' to the warning. set direct stream copy for video and audio (audio is set to direct stream copy by default anyway). select points you wish to cut at, save as avi :)

it'll just do a straight cut at the nearest keyframe and dump onto hard disk

Doesn't work for me. I even tried another video splitter and it still spits out video that is around 5 seconds ahead of the audio.

hmm looks like the file in question hasn't been encoded too well...

anyway vdub does not handle vbr audio (although the latest has limited vbr support). use virtualdubmod instead, you will not have to reencode anything, just click "no" when it gives you the warning, it'll turn out fine :)

This was some excellent advice when I tried to cut a segment out of a video with vbr audio, first time around I clicked "yes" when it asked for some reason (I'm not handy with anything that comes to video editing), but then I did as suggesten and clicked "no" when it asked and the audio was in perfect sync with the video. I am using VirtualDubMod, which is in itself just excellent. Thanks!

old thread.. but the message was approved because it's always nice to give thanks. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back