V. Slow SCSI Performance?

G

g3w

Hey again, hope alls well.

Have just ran that PC-Pitstop checker over my system (http://www.pcpitstop.com) and have been dismayed by the woeful performance my HDD are giving me.
(i'll not tell you my score for fear of laughter ;) )

I have one Quantum Atlas III SCSI drive, 8.6Gb, partition into 2 drives, C:\ system drive, about 3 Gb, and D:\ data & installs, about 5.6Gb.

The SCSI HDD is hanging off an Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card.

The results of the PCPitstop tests are:

C:\ Cached speed = 33Mb/Sec (50%)
D:\ Cached speed = 114.37Mb/Sec (173%)

C:\ Uncached speed = 1.19Mb/Sec (48%)
D:\ Uncached speed = 1.77Mb/Sec (72%)

I do not understand why, if they are one and the same physical disk, there is so much performance difference, especially in cached speed.

I have relocated my page file onto D:\.. would this make a difference?

Both my memory and processor speeds both rated 108%, ie slightly better then Pitstops library of similar systems, and I thought cached speed relies mainly on the speed of the processor and memory as opposed to uncached which relies on the speed of the disk?

Can anyone give me any ideas as to maybe what to look for to get a bit better performance out of my SCSI set up?

Thanks!
G3W

see my reply on your other thread involving the swap file..and was it this way before or after you moved the swap?

Thanks for the reply Qumahlin.

I am currently not using a page file. When I was, I honestly couldn't tell you how it was before / after, as I only straight away moved the swap file onto the 2nd partition (as office etc are installed on Part1 - needed the space).

I only use this PC to monitor my servers, surf the web and do a bit of basic stuff (word processing and email). I have removed the page file (have 320Mb memory) and have installed a memory free'er WinRamTurbo to free any memory once i close a program. Currently, with 2-3 IE windows open, Outlook and Opera, it is still happily running along with 128Mb free.

This seems to have definately helped my problem of slow Explorer, will now go and check your reply in the other thread :)

thanks again!

G3W

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back