UT2003 killing my graphics card

Ezergeezer

OSNN Addict
Blimey UT2003, I thought I had a resonable system to run most recent games, XP2000, 256Mb PC2700, A7V333 Mobo, GForce2 Ti.
RTCW no problem, MOHAA no problem, Mafia no problem, SOF2 no problem.

UT2003 runs like a bag if s**t, and yes I have all the latest drivers.

Sounds like a new graphics card me thinks.

yes it is a memory hungry game (gpu memory-wise) and the more details you turn on the more it hogs your memory...

a new video card is a good idea for it but you may want to wait to have an idea of a card that should play doom 3 @ a decent level..

Why don't we set up a raffle? $1 a ticket - proceeds go to buying a DOOM III capable card for the winner!

It's maybe the only way any of us have a chance of owning such a card!!! :D

Mubbers

Sazar - I'm now running 971Mb RAM instead of 512Mb and frame rates in UT2003 have appx. gone up from average 35 to average 45. In some levels it's better (that's at max settings all over).

Now I can also run messenger, Norton AV/IS etc. concurrently.

Mubbers

2nd edit!

What I also meant to ask was this... out of all the detail settings what counts the most for speeding up fps?

I've tried changing settings and playing but haven't really noticed much differences until turing resolution right down. There are so many possible combinations of setting that it mystifies me somewhat!!

Posted by Mubbers
Sazar - I'm now running 971Mb RAM instead of 512Mb and frame rates in UT2003 have appx. gone up from average 35 to average 45. In some levels it's better (that's at max settings all over).

Now I can also run messenger, Norton AV/IS etc. concurrently.

Mubbers

not talking about system memory..

I play ut2k3 with all eye candy turned on @ 1600x1200 and it runs uber smooth... BUT the textures loaded onto my video cards memory are around 80mb's in size... thats what I was talking about :)

overall system memory can help your game out... but when it comes to loading game textures... you need to have a card with @ least 128mb to play this game @ the highest resolutions with high eye candy turned on...

apparently there is a hidden graphics level setting which EPIC is saving to unlock when quality 256mb cards are out coz it uses about 140 odd mb onboard GPU memory :(

our measly 64-128mb cards can't handle it

Posted by Sazar
not talking about system memory..

I play ut2k3 with all eye candy turned on @ 1600x1200 and it runs uber smooth... BUT the textures loaded onto my video cards memory are around 80mb's in size... thats what I was talking about :)

Yeah on that! - It was a bit of a reference to our previous conversation re. memory.

The game improvements with extra system memory were not that great (as you predicted) but crucially I can run the firewall software etc.. whilst onlining gaming with UT2K3. Previously that stuff in addition to the game itself just killed it right off!!

What we're talking about for 256Mb cards is gonna be about $500??? Am I right?

Mub's

Yeah,
I think the Radeon 9700Pro can definately handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. I've a measly AMD 1.4 Ghz Athlon, but it doesn't seem to hamper performance except in Jedi Knight 2. In JK2, I can play the game with the eye-candy turned on only at 800X600, or the framerates drop unacceptably. Is this because of the CPU, or is there some other problem? How do i go abbout cooling my Radeon 9700Pro card some more? I bought it from ATI, so the cooling is the standard heatsink-fan combo that they provide. Does anyone know if DOOM 3 will be playable at high res, with the eye-candy turned on with my card? Is it an OpenGL game or a DirectX game?

the stock heatsink is pretty much all you really need m8... its quite adequate...

you might want to buy bga ramsinks to keep the bga ram cooler... may not buy you too much more in terms of oc'ing BUT it will extend life of your product as it will stay cooler :)

I can get away with running high settings on my GeForce 2 Ti and XP 1700 256 DDR, and it runs nice :)

hey doc define "nice" cause i get ~80 at 1280x1024 and highest detail text shap etc etc. and THATS nice [:D]

Posted by Mubbers
Yeah on that! - It was a bit of a reference to our previous conversation re. memory.

The game improvements with extra system memory were not that great (as you predicted) but crucially I can run the firewall software etc.. whilst onlining gaming with UT2K3. Previously that stuff in addition to the game itself just killed it right off!!

What we're talking about for 256Mb cards is gonna be about $500??? Am I right?

Mub's

pretty much thats what epic said... to play their ultra super duper unbelievably high detail models you would need more than a 128mb video card...

when I play I can run other background apps so long as they do not hog the cpu... memory resources I have tons to spare but when I run my tv tuner concurently it does bog down the whole rig :)

so long as you are getting a playable frame rate mubs... frag on lol :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back