UT wont work after NTFS conversion

X

XRiptorX

Hello, I've listened to my extra unintelligent friend's advice and converted from FAT32 File System to NTFS, thinking that it was "FASTER" and better. Well aside from my applications taking minutes to load as where they used to in seconds. Some of my games wont work. They will load up and give me a black screen (Unreal Tournament)

However Halflife/Counterstrike still works without a hitch.
I have targetted the problem having to do something with sound. Since UT has a safe mode menu I've disabled sound only and with everything else enabled, it loads up fine and I can start playing, but with sound it will lockup at a Black screen after the exe finishes loading. Has anyone had any similar problems? Here's a little system info

Athlon 750
256MB RAM
Maxtor 20GB HD
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
GeForce2 GTS 32MB
WindowsXP Pro Build 2600

Since there is no way to go back to FAT32 from this shitty File system I'm pretty stuck because I dont want to have to loose everything in a format.

I don't have any problems with the NTFS although it would be nice for a DOS bootdisk that could read it :D

You MIGHT be able to revert to FAT32 using Partition MAgic 7, but I am not too sure.

ouchy.

A format would be the only solution unfortunately...

First, back up all your important data and stuff :(

electronic punk, Norton Ghost can read NTFS drives...well, it can back them up, but u cant use an NTFS partition as destination...as for your problem xriptorx, try running a disk doctor kinda thing(to fix bad sectors, etc) and defragment

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
I don't have any problems with the NTFS although it would be nice for a DOS bootdisk that could read it :D

Try a program called NTFSDOS. The freeware version allows read-only access to NTFS partitions under all NT based OS's. I use it all the time at work to manually backup hosed laptops. You can get a read/write version too but it costs about $250. And whatever you do...RTFM...or you'll never get it to work right. (Use it in conjunction with a long filename driver for DOS and you have one handy "last resort" backup system)

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdospro.shtml

You may have hit on something for me there. I'm using the NTFS partition and I can't even get UT to install, when I put the disc in it get so far thru the install and then stops responding, I thought it was my disc that was corrupt.

will try and find out more

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back