Using P2P software behind a Proxy...

U

uwwcharlie

I am currently running Windows XP and want to use such programs as KaZaA and Edonkey2000, but when I try to run the program it will not connect. I have been told that when using XP it won't allow me to connect with such software because of the proxy server. It will also not let me use AIM or Yahoo Messenger. Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I can download things through XP and a Proxy? I really don't feel like going back to Win ME.

Charlie

The problem is not with XP, those programs run fine on XP. If you are on a home network or your ISP uses a proxy server then you could have problems but that is not a problem with XP.

Well some part of some program won't let me connect to any of those programs. I want to know how to fix it. I am behind a proxy and for some reason they won't work. If there is a fix or a way to get those programs to connect, I would appreciate it a lot of someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

Charlie

Well what proxy are you behind? are you on a school network? are you using a firewall? just give us some more details about your setup :)

Hey yeah, sorry about that. I am on a school connection behind a proxy. I believe it's a T-1 connection, and I'm trying to use Kazaa. Whenever it starts us it says "Connecting..." and never connects. None of the instant messenging services work either. The IT people here tell me it is because of the proxy with XP. I've been told there is a way to make it work, but it is long and complicated. I'm willing to put in the reading and work if I knew where to look. Also the reason they have the proxy server is because they charge me per mb downloaded. So everytime I open my IE it asks for a login and password from the proxy. I do not have a firewall on my computer, but there very well could be one on the school's side. I don't know what kind of proxy it is, I am not too experianced or knowledgable about those sort of things.

Charlie

I think that you are probably out of luck with the file sharing programs. None of them work well behind a proxy or a firewall. The instant messenging programs should work as long as you tell them what type of proxy server you are using.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back