using a Ghost?

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi,

I have some questions about using a image of your HD to backup data.

I never worked with HD Images before so bare with me... :)

I have Norton Ghost 2002. I understand I can take a image of my harddrive and when my HD is formated, I can put the image back, just the way it was...

What exactly are the disadvanteges?

What abaout when I resize the primary partition? Will the image still 'fit'? Can I just install all programs I need and take an image so I always will be able to restore to a fully working system? If so, why isn't everybody working with images? And how big is an image of a 5 GB partition? Will it fit on a cd-r? (4 gig used, 1 free)...

Thnx in advance

Lukas

Ghost Images are great. The only disadvantage of it is that if you put it on CD-R then you can't edit the image, so make sure you have your system how you really want it before you image.

As for why people don't always want to work with images?? For me, i change up my install options a decent amount when i reinstall so having an image sometimes isnt in my best interests because i could have stopped using a certain program that was in my image, so then i have to uninstall it once i get my image back on. All in all if you stick with the same sys configuration then restoring by image is a great idea.

The restore process itself is different with ghost than the program i use, which is PowerQuest Deploy Center. In ghost i believe you can restore by formating the drive or the partion on the drive. You need to make sure you have a large enough drive/partion so that all the data will dump onto the drive. It usually takes around 60 minutes depending on where you are copying from and where you are copying to.

If you are backing up to CD-R, then it will usually take around 4-5 CDs if not more depending on the size. I think the program will tell you about how many it will take before you start the process.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back