using a g router as a bridge

Lucy

Razr neophyte
I have just switched from cable highspeed to DSL over the phone lines. The DSL modem is also a wireless router from D Link, which seems to be 802.11b. My previous wireless router is a g router (microsoft msn700) and I was wondering if I can use the Microsoft router to get my wireless connections back to 54mbs instead of 11mbs. Any thoughts?:squareeye

Why don't you just hook up your WAN connection on your old (g) router to an ethernet output on the new one?

I'm assuming that you have ethernet connections on your new one? - You will probably have to go into the routers config and find an option to bridge the two.

If you have a network with A/B/G devices (no A here, just for example), the network will slow down to the slowest devices on that network. Even if you have 100 G devices, and 1 B, they will all slow down to B.

That being said, if you have two wireless routers, they should have two different SSIDs. You can set differend end machines, such as machines with B adapters and machines with G adapters, to the appropriate SSID.

They would however, be on seperate networks and may not be able to communicate.

That being said, if you have two wireless routers, they should have two different SSIDs. You can set differend end machines, such as machines with B adapters and machines with G adapters, to the appropriate SSID.

They would however, be on seperate networks and may not be able to communicate.

So, would I then be able to disable the wireless function on the DSL router, connect the G router via the WAN port and use that one for the wireless and get my speed back?

I don't think that wirless would adapt to the slowest wireless connection. If one is b and the other one is g you should just have two choices for connecting to, obviously choose the g network.

The only slow connection is the one in question the others will run at the speed of their own hardware, if you have a "b" router then all the components connected to the router are at "b" speeds, but if your router is Extreme "'g" and one of your computers uses an extreme "g"' adapter then it runs at the speed of its own adapter same for a computer with "b" hooked to a "g" router computer runs at "b" router runs at "g" simple really.

Turn off the wireless in the DSL router. Turn off DHCP in the old router, plug the old router WAN port into a port on the new DSL router and it will work as a G wireless net with the new DSL router providing the LAN addresses.

It's how my system is setup.

So, would I then be able to disable the wireless function on the DSL router, connect the G router via the WAN port and use that one for the wireless and get my speed back?

In theory, yes. But it's hard to tell as hardware can be shaky sometimes. Best bet is to try and then gauge your speed and results.

I don't think that wirless would adapt to the slowest wireless connection. If one is b and the other one is g you should just have two choices for connecting to, obviously choose the g network.

As I said, the only way to get "choices" as to what to connect to would be to create two unique SSID's. If the same SSID was used, then the slower of the two speeds would be achieved.

The only slow connection is the one in question the others will run at the speed of their own hardware, if you have a "b" router then all the components connected to the router are at "b" speeds, but if your router is Extreme "'g" and one of your computers uses an extreme "g"' adapter then it runs at the speed of its own adapter same for a computer with "b" hooked to a "g" router computer runs at "b" router runs at "g" simple really.

That's just not true. If there is one "b" device on the network, the entire network will slow down to "b" speeds. Unless, like I said, you seperate them by changing the SSID, which is essentially putting them on different networks. It may be best to change the channel and frequency of both as well for reliable results.

Turn off the wireless in the DSL router. Turn off DHCP in the old router, plug the old router WAN port into a port on the new DSL router and it will work as a G wireless net with the new DSL router providing the LAN addresses.

Good instructions and spot on :)

Thank you so much LeeJend, I did exactly what you recommeded and I have my g router speed back. thanx again for everyones input. :)

That's just not true. If there is one "b" device on the network, the entire network will slow down to "b" speeds. Unless, like I said, you seperate them by changing the SSID, which is essentially putting them on different networks. It may be best to change the channel and frequency of both as well for reliable results.

This is not entirely true... if you have a wireless router which can connect at 10/100/1000 and you have a dinosaur laptop with a 10 NIC, the entire network will not be 10M, only that one device...

why would you think otherwise?

The only network devices which work how you specified are fiber connected devices, because as of yet they dont have (or didnt have, its been a while since I looked to see) a way to transmit in multiple optical frequencies at the same time...

A wireless router or switch can and do transmit at different RF frequencies at the same time, or legally they would NOT be able to label them as 10/100/1000

Your points are correct, but I was only referring to wireless protocols which are different from ethernet-based.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back