User settings set up on XP Pro.

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
sorry if I post this in the wrong forum, but I'm new here (even tho I was regestered here for about 5 months)...anyways, I have 2 accounts on my computer...one of them is the admin account (which is mine) and the other is the Guest account (which I turned on)...now, what I want to do is to limited it to things, I know how to remove some programs from the user by moveing the shortcut folder from the "All Users" folder to my folder, but I don't want them to change the style or background, and I don't want them to be able to get into my C Drive (besides that one "Guest Docs." area) and my D Drive (my secondary hard drive) by hideing it, also by hiding "My Computer"...how would I go about doing so?? thanks for any answers.

http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=9

Make your folders private

(277 total words in this text)
(7802 reads)

Making a folder private

First : You may need to Disable simple file sharing by going to Windows Explorer > click on Tools > Folder Options > Click on the "View" tab and scroll down and UNtick "Use simple File sharing"..

To make a Folder Private:

•Open My Computer
•Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
•If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
•Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
•Double-click your user folder.
•Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.
•On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

Note

•To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
•This option is only available for folders included in your user profile.

Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.
•When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.
•You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS .

Originally posted by KLoWn
http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=9

Make your folders private

(277 total words in this text)
(7802 reads)

Making a folder private

First : You may need to Disable simple file sharing by going to Windows Explorer > click on Tools > Folder Options > Click on the "View" tab and scroll down and UNtick "Use simple File sharing"..

To make a Folder Private:

•Open My Computer
•Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
•If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
•Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
•Double-click your user folder.
•Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.
•On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

Note

•To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
•This option is only available for folders included in your user profile.

Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.
•When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.
•You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS .

that's the problem (the one in the red), my computer had Windows ME installed before I upgraded it to Windows XP Pro, so my file system is FAT32 :(

is there any other way?? and what's that mmc thing all about??

It is highly recommended that you use NTFS. It is much more secure and what you are trying to do will only work under the NT file system. I highly recommend that you change your file system from FAT to NTFS. Personally I would install XP fresh to get rid of ME all together.

ME isn't installed on this system anymore, I deleted ME's info all together (meaning I can no longer go back to ME)...should I just run that confert thing??

if I run the convert thing, do I need to do it on both my C drive (my main HDD) and my D drive (my secondanry HDD)?? and would my network still work?? I'm networked to a Windows 98 system, but thinking about getting a new system for a replacement cuz it sucks...and if not, would I still be able to print thru the network?? (the printer is on the other computer :()

First Off Bud..

The convert process isn't 100% reliable. I have heard of cases where it goes nutz. Simple solution. Backup everything importand on C: to D: then fdisk and reformat to ntfs. Do a fresh install then Move everything from D: To C: (You might have to zip this stuff and use maximum compression if you are limited on space) Then reformat your D: Drive to ntfs.

As to your printer Worries this thread will give you the answers you need.

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11498

I Ran the same setup you are talking about once. I Never had a problem printing. The Print share never gave me any problem.

Hope this helped some. One word of advice. If you have 2 different sized HDs make the largest one D:. Will save you any moveing hassles that might occur in the future.

I was reading thru that thread, is it posbable to just use Partition Magic?? I don't feel like going thru. all the troble of backing up my whole C drive, it might take me about a whole day :eek: :(

Well, if you do not want to back up your whole C: drive only back up the Critical programs/information that you don’t have on CD.

Also if you have a CDRW drive burn the critical information/programs onto a cd reformat your C: drive do a fresh install on the NTFS.

Or just follow Klown's advice
Backup everything importand on C: to D: then fdisk and reformat to ntfs. Do a fresh install then Move everything from D: To C: (You might have to zip this stuff and use maximum compression if you are limited on space) Then reformat your D: Drive to ntfs.
Just dont back up your whole HD only the necessary things then just do a fresh install.

As for partition magic sounds like more trouble than its worth it will probably take just as long as your other options. Possibly longer

Plain and simple. Yes Partition magic will work but you will have to BUY it or grab it illigally from warez.

The only 100% guaranteed Bug free way to do this is the way i described. Plus with a Update such as you have done there are old files that always remain and slow down a system. Do what you wish how you wish but backing up HDs isn't very hard after all it is just point and click ;) . Good luck on whatever you choose to do..

hmm...okey, but I have alot of programs on my computer that I want to keep, and most I lost the SN for, so if I uninstall it, or something goes boom, then I'm doom for, and backing up my computer would take me the whole day (zipping it up and moveing it over)...but hey, I might just go out and get a copy of Drive Image and Partition Magic (it's not that much for a home user one :rolleyes: )

Buy Partition magic, convert it over to ntfs, should work like a charm, for that matter you can probably just convert it using XP's convert tool, no it's not 100% reliable and there are horror stories of it going wrong, but unless you want to do what KLoWn said, your stuck with those options.

Good Luck, keep your fingers crossed:D

Sigh

scsa20 Unless i am greatly mistaken you have to have NTFS to do the functions you want. If you want a secure network NTFS is the only way to go.

The following suggestion is Not endorsed by myself or www.xp-erience.org

If you have alot of progams that you say you don't have s/n for then goto kazzaa and find new ones. Warez is warez and i am assuming that either that is the problem you are haveing, that you have pirated software or bad at keeping your software licences and info (There is no excuse except natural disasters for not keeping good records). There are known s/n sites all over the web. I will not disclose them here but most of us know they are out there.

Listen I am only trying to help IF you don't back things up and just try to convert there is a decent possiblity that you could lose it all. The only 100% sure method is Backup,Format, reinstall.

Sure it is a pain to do this but at sometime if you use your computer enough you will have no choice. Most of us have had to do this because of Virii, or Bad reg edits, HD failures or even junky software that goes insane.

I am a tweeker and a reg editor so i have done this ALOT. Consider it a learning xp-erience and just do it. The easy way is very seldomly the best way. Once again good luck. It is your machine and your choice but if it gose nutz don't say you weren't warned.

Originally posted by KLoWn
Sigh

scsa20 Unless i am greatly mistaken you have to have NTFS to do the functions you want. If you want a secure network NTFS is the only way to go.

The following suggestion is Not endorsed by myself or www.xp-erience.org

If you have alot of progams that you say you don't have s/n for then goto kazzaa and find new ones. Warez is warez and i am assuming that either that is the problem you are haveing, that you have pirated software or bad at keeping your software licences and info (There is no excuse except natural disasters for not keeping good records). There are known s/n sites all over the web. I will not disclose them here but most of us know they are out there.

Listen I am only trying to help IF you don't back things up and just try to convert there is a decent possiblity that you could lose it all. The only 100% sure method is Backup,Format, reinstall.

Sure it is a pain to do this but at sometime if you use your computer enough you will have no choice. Most of us have had to do this because of Virii, or Bad reg edits, HD failures or even junky software that goes insane.

I am a tweeker and a reg editor so i have done this ALOT. Consider it a learning xp-erience and just do it. The easy way is very seldomly the best way. Once again good luck. It is your machine and your choice but if it gose nutz don't say you weren't warned.

yeah, I was thinking about formating my computer anyways, I just found out how slow it's starting to get :rolleyes:

could you tell me what files I need to start off the formating progress?? and is it posable to use Drive Image to make a copy of my C drive as my back up and after the formating and reinstalltion, put back only the files I need from the image??

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back