User Profile Size, Half Life 2 Troubleshooting, Hell.

NerdUprising

[ Method ]
I'm reaching the bounds of desperation.

I just got back from school, picked up HL2 on the way home, installed it. It did not run. It would precache everything, the menu would start to fade in, and then everything would freeze. Tried again. And Again. The game always freezes somewhere between the start of the menu fading in, and the start of the things in the background moving.

My stats:

Intel D865PERL Motherboard
400w PSU
2.8Ghz P4, 800Mhz FSB, 1Mb cache
2x512Mb PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAM (CAS 3) in dual-channel config
120Gb HDD (2Mb cache) separated into 30 and roughly 90 gig partitions
Radeon 9600XT, Catalyst 5.5

I have tried every single thing I can think of. Here is a list, roughly in order of how I did them:

-nuked most services
-defragged
-killed 3D settings (first tried with AGP fast-write and texture acceleration,
but then turned them off, and they are currently still off)
-ran through proper ATI uninstall, used Nasty File Remover
-installed newer 5.5 Catalyst drivers
-deleted local game files, downloaded from steam servers
-defragged
-Uninstalled game
-Uninstalled drivers again, used nasty file remover, cleaned registry
-installed drivers
-installed game
-defragged
-eliminated ALL services but Microsoft essentials
-adjusted all forms of hardware/software acceleration (out-of-game settings)
-for all variable tests, I ran first with both monitors, then with one disabled, then with extremely low settings on just the 1.
-adjusted page file (now variable between roughly 1500 and 3500Mb)
-then, for fun, I ran with EVERYTHING running (all programs, services, both monitors, normal GFX acceleration settings) and the game STILL froze up/hung at the same point as when all of the settings were at their lowest.

The ONLY result of doing all of this is that my logon time has increased from about 3 to 30 seconds, as result of my user profile jumping in size from 600k or so to 2.71Gb, as seen under system properties/advanced/user profiles.

The one thing I have left to do a new install of Direct X. Right now I have DX 9c (4.09.0000.0904), which has been running fine otherwise (and may still be running fine if that isn't the problem).

I've nearly exhausted every option.

1. How do I lower my user profile size?
2. Suggestions for Half Life 2 troubleshooting (specifics that aren't already mentioned in the steam forum troubleshooting guide)?

thanks

You profile size has to do with your user folder, clear your temp folders. And make sure theres nothing thats large on the desktop (this counts).

3/4 solved.

audio driver issues + something preventing ATI runtime from starting on login (which is what is causing the slow login, not the user profile size... discovered by temporarily removing my docs [making profile small], still had logon issue).

All that's left to do is figure out wtf is conflicting with the drivers, etc - seems to take forever/ have issues even with selective startup, so it might even be an essential process (or just a microsoft process that is removed when checking "remove ms processes" on msconfig).

anyway, thanks for your help Admiral Michael :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back