user permissions

Akash

OSNN Senior Addict
Just wondering...

I have various users on the XP machine downstairs.
How can i set its permissions
the file system itself is Fat32 but im sure i could give more permissions in NT and 2k!

Things like how can i disable ppl instlaling software
and shutting the machine down
is it worth putting the drives as NTFS?

what im worried about is say something was to go wrong... how can i then access the NTFS drives.

I think you can do it by setting their account type to limited, I dunno about the not shutting down thing, but it won't let them install software I know that.

Open up the control panel

Switch to classic view (on the left panel)

Thsi should now look familiar as it is the same as Windows 2000

Open up Administrive tools

Open Computer Mannagement

Drop down the local Users and Groups

and this will give you control over the users/ groups and permissions.

It is best to run in NTFS as it is more secure - specially with multiple users. The only time I would not use NTFS is if I the root drive also needs to be Dual booting with another OS.

Ive decided on personal experiance to stick with Fat32. IF i knew the machine would defintly not give problems it would be fine but with my mum and brother using it... well they manage to mess the 98 machine up... I can just imagine if they lost all their data because i couldnt access it via dos to back up!

I dont mind too much about that sort of permission but i would like to control them in what they have access to. Like c:\documents & settings\tom should not have access to c:\documents & settings\harry
they should not be able to install anything etc etc
i did go into the computer management but found theres not a lot... i am almost certain i used to have access to a lot more security even under fat32... as far as not being able to shut down unless ure under a certain account.

my suggestion would be go with the ntfs and set it up the way you want it. why wait until after the damage is done to do any backing up? schedule a weekly backup on the folders you give permission to access for these people and if they still manage to crash it then you have thier data. Even if they do muck it up that bad a repair installation for retrieval purposes is always another option.

Thanks
You just woke me up
I can have the whole machine as NTFS apart from say a 3gb drive which can be Fat32.
This i then can access through dos if i was to backup/install 98 and then backup.

Excellent idea thanks :)

hmmmm....

NTFS = Much more better for networks.. and multiple users... protects better easier to set up etc...

MdSalih

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back