User issues

T

the warrior

Hey kids it's me the Warrior again. I am having 1 more problem that I hope some of you nice people can help me with.

I have reasently upgraded from xp home to xp pro and since then if you log on as a limeted user you have to Manually turn on the Firewall (Norton, third party software), and you can't log into hotmail or MSN messanger.

The only solution I could find for this is to give the user admin rights. which solved both problems, but I would rather not have everyone on my pc to have admin rights.

I have gone through all the Group policies and cant seem to find a solution. I have been trying to figure out this problem all week to no avail/ please help

I just tried puting the user into power users group witch did solve the problem with the fire wall and MSN, but I can't log into yahoo now

:confused:

Check user rights on the executables and the folders they are stored in.

And when looking for policies like that, use local security policies, the group policy editor restriction are global for all users on a local machine.

Did you do an upgrade install? Upgrade installs are icky, i would do a clean install of XP Pro. XP Home does not have some of the advanced policy settings Pro has, and it may be confused.

JJB

Originally posted by j79zlr
Check user rights on the executables and the folders they are stored in.

And when looking for policies like that, use local security policies, the group policy editor restriction are global for all users on a local machine.

Where do I find the user rights on the executables and folders? I looked in the local security policies:(

Originally posted by JJB6486
Did you do an upgrade install? Upgrade installs are icky, i would do a clean install of XP Pro. XP Home does not have some of the advanced policy settings Pro has, and it may be confused.

JJB

I did an upgrade. So do you suggest I compleatly reinstall the OS

Yes, I always recomend clean installs over upgrades. And user rights on the executables and folders are under that folder's properties on the security tab. Also known as file permissions.

JJB

I think norton firewall may have a seperate user acces rights assignment to windows. You can set it so that an admin cannot change anything on norton or a standard user can change everything. Well it does on my version anyway which is NIS 2003.

Originally posted by JJB6486
Yes, I always recomend clean installs over upgrades. And user rights on the executables and folders are under that folder's properties on the security tab. Also known as file permissions.

JJB

The version of xp pro is a upgrade version, so how do I do a clean install? Also for some reason there is no security tab on the folders properties page. Oh I am so confused. Thanks for your help but if you have any more help I would appreciate it.

You only see the security tab if the drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, and is the Professional version. You can perform a full install with an upgrade disk, you either need to have an OS that qualifies for the upgrade, or a Windows CD that qualifies. Just make sure to format the partition instead of doing an upgrade in the setup process.

The Drive is NTFS, which is the most baffeling thing. I was actually looking at that this afternoon. and it is the Professional version.(at least that is what they told me at the shop). If it was say the student version would it not have the security tab?

In Folder Options - View uncheck "Use simple file sharing" to get the security tab.

In case you are familiar with the command window you can also use the CACLS command.

I am still a bit confused by this that j79zlr said:

You can perform a full install with an upgrade disk, you either need to have an OS that qualifies for the upgrade, or a Windows CD that qualifies.

Could you try to explain that a little better for me.

I mean that you can do a full install (format, then install) with an upgrade disk as long as the partition you are installing XP to has a Windows version on it that qualifies for the upgrade, or an OS CD of a Windows version that qualifies.

Sorry mate, so what you are saying is there has to be an OS already on the PC? When you you say full install you mean clean install? ie no software.

No problem, the point I think I'm trying to make is that you can do a fresh install with an upgrade CD. The deal with upgrade CD's is that you have to prove that you are upgrading, the setup will prompt you to insert a CD of a previous Windows version to prove that you qualifiy for an upgrade unless you are installing XP on to a computer that has a prevcious Windows version on it. You asked how to do a full install with an upgrade CD, that is how, just make sure that you choose to format the partition in the setup instad of upgrading an existing windows installation.

I see, So I should Back up, Wipe the PCs hard drive, And then do a clean install. (and as long as I have the xp home disk to prove I qualify for an upgrade, I'm cool) Is that right? Sorry about this I just want to be 100% sure before I think about doing this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back