user ID and password?

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I just upgraded a mobo on a computer in a home network. The internet sharing works fine but when trying to open files on one of the workgroup computers a window opens asking for a user ID and password. The files and drives are "shared".

How do I get rid of that?

you need to have identical user accounts with identical passwords on both machines.

A little more info:

System 1 - internet modem computer win XP Pro
System 2 - sons PC win XP Pro
system 3 - daughters PC win 98

From system 1 I can get into all shared files on system 2 & 3 and do not have user account on either PC

From system 2 I get internet access but get the log on screen.

I had this set up before changing mobo's and reloading XP on system 1. The user accounts were the same before this and didn't get the log on screen before.

Is this a protocal thing?

no, it is how sharing with NT works. Create a user on the 98 box that is identical to a user on both of the XP Pro boxes. Disable simple file sharing. That should be it. You can have the 98 and/or XP boxes autologon, just give them usernames with passwords; NT or XP uses user-level access, whereas DOS or 9x windows systems use share-level access.

I don't get a log in box when I boot XP. I used to, and disabled it without doing an auto login. Don't ask me how, it was last Sept. and I forgot. It is possible though.

(Yes, 11 months without a re-install and no quirks or bugs. Trying for 1 year. Yes, I do download all kinds of crap programs off the web but XP lets me get rid of them with no residue. I'd say something nice about M$ but I'm afraid I'd turn to stone or something.)

not at logon, when accessing a share

If you have only one user and do not set a password, XP will autologon automatically at startup

networkless in Arizona!!!

:confused: I have tried everything I can think of and those that were suggested here. But I can't see my main computer from my sons or my daughters via the network.
They can connect to the internet through mine with the share internet connection settings. I can see their files on their computers from my PC albeit slow (network hang time when clicking on "Computers near you").
I've set up accounts on both computers with same user ID's (even though I did not need to do this before XP reload).
I also have a problem with "System Restore". It gives me a error every time I try to use it that says "System restore is not able to protect your computer at this time. Restart your computer and try again" or something along those lines.
Maybe I just need to do a format and clean reload again, unless some one here comes up with an answer soon I will do that this weekend.

nah, no need for a reformat (at least not from the problems you describe)

The slow network bowsing can be fixed with the reg patch at my site Click Me

We can start from the beginning:

Do you have all of the computers in the same workgrounp?
(Right click My Computer, Properties, Computer name tab)

Does each pc have a unique name in the same place?
(I E Pc1 PC2, or Office, Main, Basement, etc.,)

How are IPs configured?
(If you didn't do anything, the router is assigning them via DHCP, that is fine.)

Can you ping the other computers?
(Start, Run ping 192.168.1.100) need the IPs of your networked computers.

Can you access shares with UNC path?
(Start, run \\networkedPCname

Post what the command, arp -a from the command line displays.
(This should show every computer in your network.)

I can start with what I know now (I'm a work and not currently by the computers) I will post the rest in the morning.

Thanks.

Do you have all of the computers in the same workgrounp?
(Right click My Computer, Properties, Computer name tab)
Yes, the same workgroup name an each computer.

Does each pc have a unique name in the same place?
(I E Pc1 PC2, or Office, Main, Basement, etc.,)
Yes, dad1 (for mine) and their first names for their pc name.

How are IPs configured?
(If you didn't do anything, the router is assigning them via DHCP, that is fine.)
I'm using a hub (still have dial-up) and use my computer as internet sharer. I use 192-168-1-1 for mine, 192-168-1-2 for sons and 192-168-1-3 for daughters.

Can you ping the other computers?
(Start, Run ping 192.168.1.100) need the IPs of your networked computers.

Can you access shares with UNC path?
(Start, run \\networkedPCname

Post what the command, arp -a from the command line displays.
(This should show every computer in your network

ok, so you have 2 NICs in your PC and using it as an internet gateway?

oops, dialup, only one NIC.

Ok, so far, looks good.

Did you add the usernames WITH passwords to the XP boxes?

Once you get home, ping will tell you if they are physically connected, then using the UNC path can help see if they are there. The My Network Places (or similar) is not always good with picking up Computers in the network.

well, er, no. I have not added passwords to their accounts on the xp boxes. Never needed them before but will add later, I hope. (just got word from home that a large thunderstorm knocked out my power and only in my house. Hope it isn't anything to bad.)
Will pinging tell us anything? They are able to share the internet connection, just not files.

if you are sharing the internet fine, then ping is redundant, that would just show if there is a physical connection, ie it can hit 192.168.1.2 and send response.

I'm thinking that it is user accounts from all the info so far. If you wanna test the user accounts thingy first, just add your user account name with a password (the password thing is important, XP doesn't like sharing without a password) to all 3 PC's then you should be able to access all shares on all PC's.

Under the properties for the LAN connection, make sure that "Enable IEEE 802.1x authencation for this nework" is undchecked under the authencation tab.

to get this dialogue goto Control Panel>Network Connections,
right click on the LAN connections and select properties. DO this for the internet gateway and your son's computer.

Admiral,
Unfortunately, I've already done that.
Thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

hmm, I ve had no probs networking computers. 3 run XP pro and one runs 98SE. Very Interesting. Try pinging the others computers. O n my network, each computer does not need the same set of usernames.

Oh, are you trying to network via TCP/IP? If so you need to enalbe NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

OPen TCP/IP properties, click advanced. WINS Tab.... select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

Originally posted by Admiral Michael
Oh, are you trying to network via TCP/IP? If so you need to enalbe NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

OPen TCP/IP properties, click advanced. WINS Tab.... select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

Missed that one.

BTW you should have passwords on shares with XP. You really shouldn't use simple file sharing, unsecure, even on a home network. You can get it to work without usernames/passwords, but it doesn't always, by using them, I know I can get it to work, and you can always set autologon if you feel the need.

You guys are GREAT!!

I added passwords to the accounts.
Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP
Installed j79zlr's reg edit.

Everything works as before.:D :D :D

Life is good again

Thanks again,

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back