User Blunder

zapoqx

Striking Master
Hey all,
I have a question involving one of the systems that me and 2 other people tend to take care of since the IT department told us "oh hey, ya, we don't really care about those systems over in that area. We just maintain the general ones."

Anyway, some idiot decided to lock one of the systems from use. Basically, there is only one user on it and they somehow for some reason changed the settings for them to be a limited user as opposed to an admin.

So how do we fix this without re-installing windows XP???
I know it is running Service Pack 2 and all.

I heard that it is possible to fix with a Linux Live Session disk or something.

Is it possible to fix it that way?

Oh and also, I've tried using the one from the windows admin bypass to see if that works, but for some reason, the hard drive can't be detected. If this can't be displayed for the solution, just PM me with the details.

Thanks!

Here at work we use "password recovery pro" if I recall it's name correctly. (too lazy to goover to the CD shelf to get it and check)

What Lee said... if it's apart of a network domain there should defiantly be two admin accounts on it (the local admin and the network admin). The Guest account is normally disabled by default.

well there isn't an admin account as far as I know because
A: There is only 1 folder in the Documents and Settings (Unless this has changed from Windows 2000 about seeing other folders but unable to access it).
B: If there is, I tried admin and administrator, but if there is a default password someone put on it, unless its the obvious password of the school, there was no way for me to get in.

Anyway, I gotta go and transfer my old drive stuff to the new drive because my old SATA is getting bad for some odd reason. Anyway, I'll check back later after I'm done.

Just because there isn't an "Administrator" or "Administrator.DOMAIN" folder in Documents and Settings doesn't mean the account isn't present on the computer. Try managing the PC from the Domain Controller. If it allows you to connect remotely then you can change the local Administrator password.

madmatt is right. The folder will appear when the user logs in for the first time.

Since the computer is in a corporate settings I'm assuming it's XP Pro. But if it's Home edition just boot into safe mode and user Admininstrator with no password and that should let you login.

Well ya, it is XP Pro with Service Pack 2. The login though is under that old style... the one where you see a screen box come up that asks your user name and password.

Ya, even though it is connected to a network, it is not really connected domain wise

I.E. The computers in the regular use area (aka the Commons) all are connected under a domain use that we have to login with our user names and password. There are 4 computers though in an area (aka Cuban Pete's) that is free use for anything. However, because they are connected to the network, the only thing they have that is relavent is a Local IP address and each other's folders that are shared.

Also, THanks for the link earlier because now I remember the name.

Yea, I used NT Password Reset but when it comes up for the drive, it doesn't see ANY drive. I try to use the scsi drive disk which I assume I did correctly and doesn't seem to give any errors when I use it but still, there is no drive shown. No partition what so ever.

Wow, I just noticed I used ya alot. haha oops.

Anyway, I'll check back when I bring my system up. I'm planning on doing whatever I should do tomorrow since I'll be at the place tomorrow. So I hope there should be a nice solve by the end of today.

zapoqx said:
Well ya, it is XP Pro with Service Pack 2. The login though is under that old style... the one where you see a screen box come up that asks your user name and password.

Ya, even though it is connected to a network, it is not really connected domain wise

I.E. The computers in the regular use area (aka the Commons) all are connected under a domain use that we have to login with our user names and password. There are 4 computers though in an area (aka Cuban Pete's) that is free use for anything. However, because they are connected to the network, the only thing they have that is relavent is a Local IP address and each other's folders that are shared.

Also, THanks for the link earlier because now I remember the name.

Yea, I used NT Password Reset but when it comes up for the drive, it doesn't see ANY drive. I try to use the scsi drive disk which I assume I did correctly and doesn't seem to give any errors when I use it but still, there is no drive shown. No partition what so ever.

Wow, I just noticed I used ya alot. haha oops.

Anyway, I'll check back when I bring my system up. I'm planning on doing whatever I should do tomorrow since I'll be at the place tomorrow. So I hope there should be a nice solve by the end of today.

After you log in the first time, make the moron a restricted user, so they cant do that silly A$$ crap again... and when they come asking tell them why...

I hate idiots like this... normally I will find out who did it, go into AD and lock the account, then they HAVE to come see/talk to you

:)

Trust me, if the student government let me and my 2 other friends be the admins of the 4 computers over there, we will be making an install with 2 accounts and that will only have 2 logins... one that can be used freely but on a limited account and the other will be just for the 3 of us to access freely and do whatever the hell we want...

although as much as I would want to, if we were admins, I won't be able to discriminate from the World of Warcraft players (trust me, some of them don't go home til the 3rd day making it stink and they hog the system WAY too long).

Anyway, so I have not had any more suggestions yet. I don't know what else to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back