• other

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I wanna find out how many of you disguise your browser and why

I leave my agent string blank and my referrer to the site's own domain.

Why? Paranoid.

Sometimes I have to switch them back to default for some sites (windows update) to work properly.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 :)
Never found a reason to change it.

Nope, it's a pointless exercise that only messes things up. It's also extremely annoying to web-masters and those who take note of statistics. Never saw the point in it.

themafia_69 said:
how do u even do this in the first place
There are a couple of extensions for Firefox that'll allow you to change the UA string. I think Opera has the feature too.

You can change IE's via the Windows registry, FireFox version numbers can be changed via about:config, and the full string can be changed via extensions, Opera has the feature built in, and Safari has it accessible by a debug menu which isn't enabled by default but can be turned on via writing prefs through a terminal command.

And that's how you do it :p

SPeedY_B said:
Nope, it's a pointless exercise that only messes things up. It's also extremely annoying to web-masters and those who take note of statistics. Never saw the point in it.
I also never saw the point of it...that's why this poll...I would like to see accurate statistics of people using browsers other then ie.

the way it sits now, you can't tell how many people are migrating from ie, because plenty of people disguise the browser, so I'm trying to find out the pervasiveness and the purpose

Maybe I don't want to partake in anonymous statistics?

I find modifying my referer to be especially useful, the user agent no so much.

Its one of those privacy things, I don't care if it is useless or anonymous information, its MY information and I don't want anybody to have it.

Besides, chances are if they're modifying the user agent or referer, they are not using internet explorer.

Ad Muncher is the program I use, if anyone is interested in this.

chaos945 said:
Besides, chances are if they're modifying the user agent or referer, they are not using internet explorer.
That's the whole point. Methinks a rather large dose of anti-paranoia is required.

I never saw a need to except for sites that exclicitly require a certain browser ... then again any sites like those aren't worth visiting.

vern said:
I never saw a need to except for sites that exclicitly require a certain browser ... then again any sites like those aren't worth visiting.
Eeeeeeexactly! :)

Its good ol'
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

for me :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back