Use switch or router to share internet conenction (adsl)?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
I am thinking of getting an adsl connection and want to share between 2 computers. Can a switch be able to do this or would a router be better?

also, my friend has a switch that has 3 people connected, in order to go online, all comps must be set to automatic DHCP but when we want to play a lan game (e.g. war3) we have to manually set one? anyone know why?

1. i'd get a router. if you use a switch, one of the computers would have to be left on so that the other computer could access the internet.

2. hmm, that's weird. can you give us a little diagram of how the network is? is it connected to the internet in anyway?

It is because the switch is not a DHCP server like a router, the computers are receiving a WAN IP via DHCP not a LAN IP.

j79zlr said:
It is because the switch is not a DHCP server like a router, the computers are receiving a WAN IP via DHCP not a LAN IP.
that's what i was thinking...but i wasn't sure how he had the internet connected to it :)

I would also go with the router. A lot of ISP's charge you more for multiple IP addresses and using a switch would require multiple. A router would only need one IP from your provider. It would assign private IP addresses to your machines, thus saving you money.

Most DSL modem/routers include a 4 port switch in them already.

a router is the way to go, one with a built in adsl modem will be even better and simpler :cool:

router most definately.
on my own setup, i go from the modem, to a router, which goes to my xbox, a couple pc's, and another switch. from the switch, to a few more puters.

Yes Router/ modem is by far the best.... and you can net share,fileshare as well as share cd/dvd drives etc.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back