USB to Serial

• Thread starter bezatkinson
  • Start date
B

bezatkinson

I have a Sony laptop that has no Floppy disc drive and no serial connections. I have bought a usb to serial converter which is made by a company called Lindy. Whenever I start the laptop in the device manager the computer tells me that there is one communications port on (Com 1) and a usb to serial on (com 2) This is fine except I don't have a communications port and the second problem is the program which I am trying to use does not recognise anything on com 2 even though I have the usb to serial connected on it.

I have been on Lindy's website which is www.lindy.co.uk and downloaded the new drivers and also I have been on Sony's website and they don't have any information the would help. If anybody could help it would be much appreciated

Thanx in advance

Andrew

hmmm not sure about your problem..but the serial port IS a communications port...so it is detecting it correctly since it is saying the USB to Serial is on Com2...cause it is...not sure why the supplied program is not working though

USB to serial converters create a virtual port. Some programs aren't compatible with these virtual ports.

An example is the TI-Graph Link programs to connect my Texas Instruments graphing calculator. No matter what I do, it will not detect the calculator through the USB to Serial converter. When I plug it into the serial connector directly, no problem.

On the other hand, my Palm sync cradle connects just fine through the usb converter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back