usb power question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so I have a usb gps with a linux operating system, I have no idea which linux but I'll research to see if I can find out

anyway, it's powered from the cigarette lighter and I am wondering if the same power cord can be used with my pocket pc since that's usb charged also

does the os recognize voltage and adjust?

are the voltages common because of common processors?

thanx for the info in advance

Usb standard dictates 5V voltage, voltage limits, power quality and maximum draw of 5W.

The pocket PC should not try and draw more than 5W so it should work. Skim thorugh the manual for the pocket PC and see if it says anything different.

The cigarette lighter plug adapter should specify it has a 5V, 5W output on the case. If it doesn't it may put out a higher voltage that could damage the pocket PC.

The GPS and Pocket PC manuals should specify what is expected on the power interfaces.

When all else fails. Can you plug either device into your dektop and recharge it? If yes, they both will work off of the USB standard.

Standards are great, unfortunately not everybody follows them...

Personally I would get a meter and measure the output from the USB charger with it plugged in if you can. Those pins are not real accessible. I fit reads under 6V with no load on it then you should be safe.

Last edited:
Usb standard dictates 5V voltage, voltage limits, power quality and maximum draw of 5W.

The pocket PC should not try and draw more than 5W so it should work. Skim thorugh the manual for the pocket PC and see if it says anything different.

The cigarette lighter plug adapter should specify it has a 5V, 5W output on the case. If it doesn't it may put out a higher voltage that could damage the pocket PC.

The GPS and Pocket PC manuals should specify what is expected on the power interfaces.

When all else fails. Can you plug either device into your dektop and recharge it? If yes, they both will work off of the USB standard.

Standards are great, unfortunately not everybody follows them...

Personally I would get a meter and measure the output from the USB charger with it plugged in if you can. Those pins are not real accessible. I fit reads under 6V with no load on it then you should be safe.
thanx leejand, that answers the question perfectly, yes, both get charged from laptop

i thought it was 500mA, so 2.5W..?

edit:
wikipedia said:
The USB specification provides a 5 V (volts) supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines.[10] Initially, a device is only allowed to draw 100 mA. It may request more current from the upstream device in units of 2 mA up to a maximum of 500 mA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back