USB Power Problems / Blue Screen Crashes

D

dj_karl

I've been noticing some strange issues on my machine. When I bootup and log in to windows if it is a boot up from cold, there is no power to any USB devices. I have two USB ports on my machine, one has a alcatel speedtouch usb modem attached to it, the other has a 5 port USB hub, which is powered via it's own power supply. If I reboot the machine, it will load fine and now I will have power to the usb devices.

However a couple of times the power has been lost to the devices and windows has blue screened on me, giving me a 'stop error, with possible hardware problem', is the USB problem likely to be causing this? I've been running the machine without the USB hub plugged in and the problem seems to go away? I'm confused as to why a self powered USB Hub could course this?

any advice anyone?

the speedtouch modem had a bad name for overloading USB devices, im afraid your USB ports cant take the load. you can try the modem through the hub to see if that works and update the drivers here http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

the best advice for those modems is an internal USB 2 card, there very cheep and will stop that problem with onboard USB :)

hope this helps.

i'm still a bit concerned about the blue screens, would the above be the likely cause of these?

thanks for you help with this

if ur using the modem drivers off the cd then yes, the cd drivers under rev 1.4 cause BSOD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back