USB - Networking

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi There
Could someone give me a heads up about networking with USB.
i have always run traditional ones before but one of my housemates wants to setup a direct link between his and his brothers pc for file transfer only. Could some tell me how to set a usb link and if any software is needed.

Cheers

you need a usb network dongle, there not cost effective against 2 cheap nic's and a patch cable. it's not a simple case of hooking up a £1.99 usb cable worst luck.

USB Networking would be perfect for that. Just buy a USB direct connect cable or a box that joins two cables for the purpose of networking. You cant just string a plain USB cable between then though. Make sure the cable is specially made for computer to computer networking.

JJB

Originally posted by JJB6486
USB Networking would be perfect for that. Just buy a USB direct connect cable or a box that joins two cables for the purpose of networking. You cant just string a plain USB cable between then though. Make sure the cable is specially made for computer to computer networking.
interesting. i didn't know this was possible. can you show us an example of one of those cables?

If the 2 metre cable is not long enough, can I just attach a normal usb cable onto it to extend it?
If not, how do I extend it?

yes, the speed will slow up a little, i think up to 10-15 meters on usb.

oh, okay. it just seems to be a condensed version of what would be two usb ethernet adapters and an ethernet cable. except they skip the ethernet hardware and have both adapters from both computers tie directly into each other (in that box). it still uses a network protocol.

still cool, but i was thinking of more of a pure-usb connection. like once you plug it in, the "found new hardware" bubble would pop up and it'd end up being recognized as something like "usb pc connection" or something and the other comp would come up as another drive under 'my computer'.
;)

Cheers for the heads up i think i will just recommend him to get a cross-over cable and use nics the usb option is a little pricey!
Thanks Again

Originally posted by indyjones
Cheers for the heads up i think i will just recommend him to get a cross-over cable and use nics the usb option is a little pricey!
Thanks Again
yeah, the crossover cable is always the best option.

Originally posted by Henyman
i was looking@ networking + saw these:

Netgear MA111ge 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter

looks interseting, but i dont know how good they are:confused:
Kingston 1GB CompactFlash Card + Adapter? that's what the link points to. you must mean this. :)

and they're fine. they've been out for a while. if reception is going to be an issue (distant/secluded access point), then the kind that are a station with an antenna and a usb cord going to your comp (like this) are better. because those stick ones are going to be stuck on the back of your comp and might not get the best signal. or on the front, i suppose, if you don't think it'll get broken off.
:p

I believe 16 feet (5 meters) is the maximum for a reliable USB Connection without hubs. You can dasiy chain USB hubs though for up to 98.4 ft (30 m) with a hub every 16 feet, though that could get expensive. If they're more then 16 feet (5 meters) apart, get two NICs and a crossover CAT5 Cable.

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back