USB Network Adapter Desired

What's it for? Laptop? Desktop? Cause PCI 10/100 NICs run cheap at like $10. If it's a laptop I'd opt for a PCMCIA one.

I want a USB, so I can easily use it for a both a desktop and a laptop.

A quick search on newegg yeiled that most are around $20-24 unless you want some unknown make. But tven that the price is like $16-20

Not overly concerned with the price, just looknig for something sturdy/reliable

It does look large. But, if you look at this one it's just too dang flimsy.

33-124-122-05.JPG

That little thing that sticks up is what I broke earlier today, rendering it useless. I wouldn't really be carrying it around, so the size isn't an issue. Basically the reason why I want one is because I don't want to have to update my BartPE CD each time I get a new computer in. By this I mean when I get a desktop/laptop from a client, I was previously adding the drivers to the build and then re-compiling, which gets to be a bit tedious.

If I get an external adapter, I can just add those drivers and be done with it :)

Ah I see your setup, for clients computers then? The DLINK shouldn't be too bad then.

Using a USB port on your KVM by any chance?

Yup to clients.

No, adapter jacks into computers directly, don't want to stress out the KVM cabling as it already has the mouse/keyboard signal through a single USB channel.

I may get this one instead, as I do like black hardware, and Belkin:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?zipCode=01001&jspStoreDir=Staples&catalogId=10051&errorUrl=zipcode&krypto=mfxq1nTSMWh0shUQOLdqejr6zGQ2Y8NL&cm_mmc=Shopping.com-_-Shopping-_-ProductFeed-_-listing&ts=1141279426306&langId=-1&partNumber=482084&storeId=10001&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd

Also, I have a Staples Gift Card, which is nice, as well as a Rewards Card :)

Looks better then the DLINK too :p

Shouldn't the KVM be able to handle the USB ports? Its not like there's any processing involved inside the KVM. Unless the manual says otherwise. Isn't that the point of the USB as well, to share devices?

The KVM switch only has 2 USB inputs, and those are both in use (keyboard/mouse), so it doesn't really apply anyways.

Not too sure how BartPE would react to network over usb/kvm/usb either :p

As far as I know it should'nt kno the KVM there, it should think its a direct connection.

If you had a wireless keyboard/mouse you could combine those 2 USB into 1 for both Keyboard/Mouse. :)

No wifi desktop for me, heard bad things about how they interact with KVM.

EDIT: By that I mean mostly lag. The way I have now, both USB wired, the transition is fecking instant and I love it. If I were wifi, I would probably have a few seconds of lag, which is unacceptable :cool:

I've had a wifi keyboard on a KVM before (PS/2). It's a fiarly new wifi combo too and the only problem I had was the "extra buttons", the software didn't always want to see them.

Also you don't need the software for the keyboard to work, it just acts like a standard keyboard and even XP has a few defaults for the "extra buttons."

That will not suffice, I demand 100% functionality at all times :smoker:

Well also remember that I have an older KVM so it may have some issues. Im sure with the USB you woundn't have any problems. The extra buttons wont work on the client's computer, just your own unless you want to install and configure the app on the clients computer as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back