USB issue

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi guys, I got a question for you regarding a usb issue I am having. My mouse cursor has recently started to stop responding in the middle of using it. The only way to unfreeze the cursor is to hit a key on my keyboard, the cursor appears on the other side of the screen where I guess it would have moved to if it didn't freeze.

I have tried various things, such as trying a different mouse, reinstalling my mouse drivers and even changing my video drivers (I read somewhere about the latest nvida drivers are messing up some peoples cursors like this). I have even reformatted and the problem still persists.

Current specs of relevancy:

A8N-SLI Deluxe - 1016 bios
Nvidia Forceware - 81.26
Motherboard drivers - 6.70
Razer Mouse Drivers - 5.09
latest windows updates and such.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be VERY grateful.

Thank you very much

*bump*

Sorry to bump my own thread.

Anybody have any ideas at all?

Clean Format, I never do dirty ones.

When you say you reformatted and the problem persists are you saying the problem exists using the default basic graphics drivers?..or did you install some nvidia drivers before it reared it's ugly head again?

In anycase try switching which USB port you're using, or try using a USB to PS/2 adapter and see if that clears things up.

The problem is there before I install any nvidia drivers and afterwards. I also tried changing USB ports and it still does it, I cannont however use a PS/2 adapter with this mouse its one of those high end gaming mice.

I have a feeling it might be the 1016 bios, but asus website is very odd and all they seem to have is beta bios's listed. They dont have the older ones.

If your board (on the board not sticking out the side) has two usb plugs make sure the cables are connected in the right order. I had mine the wrong way & it interfered with my camera. Switched it around & the problem went away.

This mobo has 4 ports built into it, I have an additional 4 built into my monitor as well. My mouse is plugged directly into the mobo. But I will try other combinations and see what happens.

Aprox said:
I have a feeling it might be the 1016 bios, but asus website is very odd and all they seem to have is beta bios's listed. They dont have the older ones.

The website isn't that odd, I have an A8N non SLI and have dealt with their page being very slow before, but the layout is pretty good. Go back to ASUS's page, type a8n-sli in the keyword product search on the left of the front page, your board should be the first listed after you click go so click the motherboard picture, now click the download tab on the left followed by the BIOS tab accross the top of the main frame on the next page.

Heh, I know how to navigate their website... Its just that their content is very peculiar.

On a further note I have changed usb ports several times now and the problem is still around. But I have noticed it seems to be more pronounced when in graphical application. When I am in 3ds max it happens almost ever 15 - 30 seconds then it wont do it for a few minutes.

I will keep experimenting and let you guys know what I find.

If you follow the instructions above you will find that all the BIOS versions from 1001 to 1016 are available from the ASUS site.

Aprox said:
Heh, I know how to navigate their website... Its just that their content is very peculiar.

On a further note I have changed usb ports several times now and the problem is still around. But I have noticed it seems to be more pronounced when in graphical application. When I am in 3ds max it happens almost ever 15 - 30 seconds then it wont do it for a few minutes.

I will keep experimenting and let you guys know what I find.

I backed out of posting earlier, as what I was going to mention, no longer applies. Asus used to have an English version page on their Taiwan site. Because it's a Tiawan based company, it was at times possible to find updates that made it to their Tiawan page, which hadn't quite circulated to some of their other regional sites, like the US one.

However, browsing there more recently (my current board is an MSI, but my 4 or so prior boards were all Asus boards), to check up on BIOSes for you, I noticed the site has been totally revamped. Also, looking for Tiawan, there isn't an English version page available there anymore, but Chinese only. Oh well, though isn't 1018 the lattest Asus BIOS? I might be mistaken, but thought I read that somewhere...

BTW, if the problem is more pronounced with 3D aps such as 3D Studio Max then otherwise, have you also tried changing your gfx card drivers, just in case gfx drivers are also related to what you're seeing here? Just a thought...

Last edited:
Well this is odd, when I went back to the Asus site the files I was looking for before are now listed... I swear they were not there before :-\

@Son Goku: I have tried changing my video drivers I have gone up to the 83 series (beta of course) and all the way down to late 70 series. It does it in all of them.

Now that I got my my hands on the 1015 bios I will roll back to that and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Ok a quick update, I successfully downgraded to the 1015 bios and so far the problem seems to of gone away. This reinforces the saying "If it aint broke dont fix it" :)

Thanks for everyones ideas and suggestions. Rep++ just for trying to help :)

I really do appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back