USB confusimication

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Right here is my prob,

I have a Creative WebCam PD1001, it is plugged into the USB port.
It daws 500mA from the port, there are no other USB devices connected.

After about 2-3 hours the power LED on the front of the webcam turns off and then when using any software to use the webcam (usually WebCam Monitor from Creative) the CPU usage jumps from nominal 1-4% usage to 100%. The PC pretty much locks up, the mouse can move around, but opening things like notepad takes a while.
I have set the USB ports to not be turned off to save power.

Does anybody else have a problem like this possibly with a different piece of hardware.

Also if anyone knows how to fix this I would be much abliged.
If it helps I have an Abit kt7-RAID using a VIA Apollo (think) KT133 chipset.

Thanks
I have also tried to get answers out of the Creative WebCam forum with little luck.

What type of PSU have you got?.. 340watt would be a good baseline to work from.

Sounds like a power issue, the motherboard cannot supply enough power to all your devices.

I thought the Mobo USB ports could only supply 500 mA, my PSU is only 300W, if it is too low how would I know.

I have
2 ATA 100 HDD
1 DVD Drive
1 CD RW Drive
2 128 DIMMS
1 AGP GeForce
1 SB Audigy
1 10/100 network card
1 floppy drive
1 Athlon T-Bird
2 internal USB Hubs, one built onto mobo, the other attached to USB 2 thing on the mobo

I think that I might try removing the second USB hub from inside the PC, maybe just disconnect it from the mobo and see what happens.

Could a low Output cause something like this. I am planning on upgrading to a Enermax 350W Whisper PSU, do you think this would be enough?

Current PSU is a AOpen FSP300 - 60GT it was included in the Case.

OK I have removed the secondary set of USB ports and it now turns off faster than when they were connected. The Creative people asked about a USB IRQ in the BIOS, it is set to assign an IRQ, should I try disableing this?

In the manual the text goes like this:

PNP OS Installed: No
Reset Configuration Data: Disabled
Resources Controlled by: Auto(ESCD)
two grey lines as previous is auto

PCI/VGA Palette Snoop: Disabled
Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled
Assign IRQ for USB: Enabled

You might want to try the Via usb filter patch to see if it helps any (assuming that you haven't already tried it):

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=71#usb

Also check your motherboard manufacturer's site to see if they have any updated usb drivers.

already tried it. It only made the time to power down faster.

Do you have any other usb devices and do they lose power after a certain period of time? I have a logitech quickcam and have never had any problem with it, or any of my other usb devices, but then I have only used usb devices with ASUS motherboards.

I have seen other posts on forums talking about devices shutting down after various periods of time but have never seen any definitely solutions to the problems. It almost sounds like the device is going into its own standby mode and having problems waking back up.

I also have a Nomad II, but I never usually have it connected for that long, it also doesnt draw power from the PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back