USB 2 Problems

one.123

-0-;;
hello, using win xp pro, with sp1, and everytime i plug a device with usb2, it says this device supports usb2 but is going at usb1 speed. and i know that my usb ports support usb2...whats wrong? thanks in advance

Hmm.. perhaps check bios and see if there is a setting there?

Are you sure that the cable you are trying to use is a usb 2 cable. Obvious thing i know but i spent ages trying to work out why a friends drive wouldnt work in usb 2 on my computer only in usb 1 and that was the reason. The cable supplied with his device was incredibly short so he had borrowed his printer cable - which was usb1! Also i found that on portable drives in a caddy, some will work on master or slave - however when in slave they sometimes make the device only work in usb1..... very random!

The enhanced USB Controller in Device Manager for USB 2 often needs a kick start.
If you select "update" the driver it usually looks to SPI to update itself.
Have that problem on every reinstall with a Gigabyte mobo.

if you have Winxp sp1 it should find your usb2 devices if you have to upgrade to sp1 you should uninstall the drivers for your usb and after the upgrade and have windows find the devices again. I have a usb2 card that shows up but with a caution sign after applying sp1 but after i uninstall the device and reboot or have windows fine new hardware it then registers as a enhanced usb device(usb2) yourdevice manager should look a bit like this.

Last edited:
Im not sure if this will help but its a longshot.

When I reinstalled WinXP. SP1a was the first thing I installed, then I downloaded the USB2.0 patch from Windows Update, then I installed SP2. After that, I went to Device Manage, updated the High Speed USB Devices and then USB2.0 worked straight away without restarting.

I never used any other software from my USB2.0 PCI card. Just the Microsoft stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back