USB 2.0 all in one Card Reader error help

zandyrei

TinySoft
i have an error of "please insert disk to drive ..."

i bought a USB 2.0 all in one card reader for my sony memory stick duo..

we tested the card reader in the store with my memory stick and it work...
in home with my AMD, emaxx, windows xp sp2 it worked..
but when i put it in my office PC Pentium4, 2.Ghz, Dell desktop windows xp sp1 it says "please insert disk to ..." even if my office pc recognizes the card reader but i cannot open it...
i tried it on my friend with P4, Samsung desktop PC with sp2 and all i got is "please insert disk to drive ..."
on my other friend who got AMD, Redfox(biostar), windows xp sp2, it detects and works well just like at home pc..

things i tried:
-check if USB 2.0 driver is installed
-try all USB ports

is there any drivers missing in order to make this work?
please help... i need to transfer data from work to my office...
ty...

What size is the mem stick? I have had a similar situation with my AMD powered PC at home and it's multi card reader and my micro SD mem card that I am using in my LG phone. My mem card is a 6GB card and I can only see it and read it on my Laptop. Funny that my situation is backwards from yours. My AMD CPU is a 2.4 Ghz Athlon running XP Pro Edition and SP3. My Laptop has an Intel Centrino Duo running XP Home edition and SP3. Strange that the card reader on my PC is able to read all my other flash mem cards and mem stick duos. And my mem sticks are 4 GB in size. But with the 6GB it can't read it and it takes forever to refresh windows explorer as to the drive and when I can finally click on the drive it says insert a card or it just sits there and stares at me. My Laptop just zips right along and doesn't even hickup. Oh and my Laptop is a Dell.

Now being a USB 2.0 or 1.1 is not important since USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1. It would only work slower. Try connecting it into another USB slot. I am gonna try that with mine since my Laptop reader is built in and my PC is external I have been thinking it could be the connection, the cable, or the size of the mem card. But you may want to update the office PC to SP2 and SP3 is out now so maybe just jump to that. There could be conflicts some where in the system, Maybe? or just as I said, a cable the USB slot or the size.

[edit]
Have you tried other flash memory cards or memory sticks to see if they work?

Good luck.

Last edited:
1)What size is the mem stick?

2)Try connecting it into another USB slot.

3)There could be conflicts some where in the system, Maybe?

4)or just as I said, a cable the USB slot or the size.

5)have you tried other flash memory cards or memory sticks to see if they work?

Good luck.

1) the size of my memory stick is 8gb(sony magic gate), im using it for my sony cybershot cam.

2) i already tried it on the front and back USB slots but stil "please insert disk..."

3) i think its the system, or something that needs to be installed or updated..

4) i havent tried using any other cables

5) i dont have any other cards that fit in my card reader.. i have a nokia n73 mini sd 512mb but only used in nokia pc suite

--recently i tried it on a pc windows 2000 and my card reader with my 8gb mem stick worked like a charm, slow but it worked...

--i also tried using the memcard without the adaptor for the card reader but still i got "please insert........."

Some businesses make it so that USB flash drives don't work, so that people can't take confidential information home with them, et cetera. There is a tweak Administrators can do to turn this off and on in Windows. I worked for a business that they turned that ability off. USB still works it just won't work with removeable drives of any sort.

Ask your tech department if this is the case where you work.

Some businesses make it so that USB flash drives don't work, so that people can't take confidential information home with them, et cetera. There is a tweak Administrators can do to turn this off and on in Windows. I worked for a business that they turned that ability off. USB still works it just won't work with removeable drives of any sort.

Ask your tech department if this is the case where you work.

our office has no computer guy administrator thingy that watches our transfer..its even not a network pc, i can turn of the firewall if i want to...

and i can transfer any data in my office pc through USB using my n73 phone, with my 8gb memcard using my sony cybershot, as well as 4gb pqi flashdirve... i just cant transfer using the card reader, card readers are handy i dont want to bring the whole camera just to transfer...

i recently went to the store and try to return the device but they told me only if it fails when tested so we did a test at their own 4 Pcs AMD powered, we test in the front and back USB ports and dang it worked..so i cant return it... there must have been a missing file in my office pc in order to read with my card..
ill try to copy the disk.sys and partmgr.sys from my home pc and paste it in my office c:windows/system32/drivers folder... maybe it will work.. or ill gona reformat..

here is the sony support page

http://www.sony.net/Products/mssupport/?j-short=memorystick/supporte

select your region to check for Memory Stick Products Compatibility Chart
maybe you need a certain driver. The usb should work but knowing its Sony, they may have a driver or fix for your issue. its a start..... I will try to find something in the meantime to help you out

Your office will let you reformat your computer?

my bad im gona reformat the memory card i mean... only dell can reformat our office pcs...

i already send an email to sony(link given by tdinc) if they have drivers coz i cant find drivers for a stick duo..

and i already sent a quiry to
http://www.gngcommunication.com/product_view.asp?id=742
the manufacturer of my USB card reader...

well i have to wait...and find some other solutions...

im gona try transfering

USBSTOR.sys
disk.sys
partmgr.sys
VolSnap.sys

from my home pc to office pc.. and see if it works... if my office pc got corupt ill call dell... rofl...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back