[US politics] Appeals court denies parents' request to rehear Schiavo case

Status
Not open for further replies.
VenomXt said:
i blame the pro-life fanatics and the loby of uber conservitive jackasses.

well said................

I don't know what I might think is best if I were this girls parent

but I do know as a fact, that if I thought she was living in there, you would need to smite me dead as I stood feeding my child

so long as I remained alive, so my child would as well.

She has a brain stem. That's it. Her cerebral cortex died and disintegrated. Literally. She is incapable of being conscious. She is incapable of feeling pain. She will never get better and she cannot be rehabilitated, because she has spinal fluid where her brain used to be.

That's just the way it is.

Melon

Without reading previous posts, I say if she's really brain dead, is not aware of anything, cannot feel anything, then if I were the judge I would ask the people who want her alive to pay her life insurance policy off to Michael, dissolve her marriage, and let them have custody of her and have their living keepsake as long as they like. It's fair to all parties.

melon said:
She has a brain stem. That's it. Her cerebral cortex died and disintegrated. Literally. She is incapable of being conscious. She is incapable of feeling pain. She will never get better and she cannot be rehabilitated, because she has spinal fluid where her brain used to be.

That's just the way it is.

Melon

Nicely stated and so absolutely crystal clear.

Now the neurologist Jeb Bush got who says she could recover also happens to be part of some Christian group. Shocking.

rotjong

I don't understand the Christian's argument here, the fact that she couldn't survive without constant medical care would show that it is God's will for her not to survive? Or is that an oversimplification?

I don't agree with the President on this one, there was no 14th amendment due process violations, this has been in and out of courts for years, hence the due process. It is an obvious politcal move. Probably to excite the far right base when then will try and run either Juliani or McCain in '08.

the presidents point of view is that the parents want to feed their child and he wants to let them do it.

I agree

what's the differance if she can't recover...what's the differance to you or to me or to her?

what is the differance?

her parents think she's alive and they want to feed her.

j79zlr said:
I don't understand the Christian's argument here, the fact that she couldn't survive without constant medical care would show that it is God's will for her not to survive? Or is that an oversimplification?

Thou shalt not kill.

In the end it's a simple statement. There are no exclusions. Letting someone die by not feeding them [regardless of their consciousness] is akin to killing someone.

j79zlr said:
I don't agree with the President on this one, there was no 14th amendment due process violations, this has been in and out of courts for years, hence the due process. It is an obvious politcal move. Probably to excite the far right base when then will try and run either Juliani or McCain in '08.

This is a tough one. Generally, I see it as multiple wars taking place. Not everyone is fighting for the same thing here but they are all fighting over Schiavo because it helps their cause.

1. You have all the Lifers in one camp and fighting against letting Schiavo die for purely religious [and what they'll say are moral and ethical] and ideological reasons.
2. You have President Bush who did win on the back of many religious people. He has something to live up to in that so I am really not surprised he signed the bill and even less so because his brother is the political vanguard fighting to keep Schiavo alive.

There other ones as well but... well... it's not worth getting into that much.

Personally, I don't see an agenda in this for the 2008 elections. The bill to keep Schiavo alive was overwhelmingly supported regardless of political affiliation in the Congress. I see lots of agendas but not that one.

rotjong

I'll throw in some personal perspective here.

11 months ago I crawled into an emergency room within an hour of being dead from a ruptured intestine. They told me they could patch em up just fine so I said go ahead.

Three surgeries later I am now told the debilitating pain I get in my abdomen every time I walk more than a few hundred feet or stand up too long may go away in another 6 months, but most likely will be with me for the rest of my life. The pain started after the third surgery which was to correct a problem resulting from the second surgery, which was to put my intestines back together after the first surgery. That was 21 days total in the hospital (literally a fate worse than death), significant loss of memory and cognitive functions from extended use of morphine and general anesthesia (after several months I've had some restoration, but no where near total).

BTW After the problem requiring the third surgery showed up, someone (other than the doctors), mentioned that it was very common. Funny the surgeon and other doctors never mentioned the permanent complications.

Bottom line. A couple times every day I find myself wishing I had parked my car and watched the sunset instead of going to that emergency room. I now have 20-30 years of pain to look forward to.

The f'ing doctors aren't angels of mercy. They're there to make a buck, and so are the hospitals. They don't peice you back together no matter how bad a shape you're in to improve your life. They do it because they can.

This farce in Florida is an insult to humanity. Just based on what happened to me, which relatively wasn't that bad, that poor woman is a veggie and will be for life.

Next time I park the car and watch the sunset.

perris said:
the presidents point of view is that the parents want to feed their child and he wants to let them do it.

I agree

what's the differance if she can't recover...what's the differance to you or to me or to her?

what is the differance?

this goes beyond being that simple. Firstly , she is tube fed, her mouth needs constant suction becuase she cannot swallow her own saliva, not to mention the bed sores she has from being immobile for 15 years. who pays for her care, we do. when the parents can no longer afford to pay the medical costs, they call a social worker for the state, who finds that she is indigent with no means of reparation. Hence we, you, me and every other working stiff subsidize a gork for the next x years.
there is a quality to life as well as a quantity, in this case quality is lacking for the quantity to continue.

perris said:

I agree

what is the differance?

This assumes that Terri Shiavo is a pet for her parents' amusement. I disagree with that. I think it would be most humane to let her die. She should have died 15 years ago.

For those who are religious, this would mean her soul is free to be with God. Being an invalid for her parents' amusement would debateably mean her soul is trapped in her body.

Melon

I feel they should let her die. It is inhumane to let her live like this, if this was my daughter I would not let her go threw the rest of her life like that. I would not be able to look at her without breaking down.

It is a shame that all these people feel one thing. It is also a shame that 9/10 of them have no idea what they are talking about. They just want to stick their nose in things that don't concern them. They act like this is a soap opera, or a movie of the week .. It's a joke to me, it makes me realize that people are as stupid and immature as they let on .. Maybe if more would see reality here things would be diff.

i have already said numerous times that if I get into a state like that I want to die .. I do not want to put my family threw something like that .. It is such a shame, I feel so much for her family and husband. Letting a loved one go is the hardest thing you can do. And, having so many people sticking there nose in it don't make it any better ..

If she were my daughter I'd have fought for the right to end her life many many years ago.

you guys are under the impression she's either dead or suffering...you can't have both to make this decision, if she's dead she's not suffering...you need to decide which it is; dead or suffering.

her parents think she is neither, and they want to feed their child...NOT their pet, but their baby girl who they think is in a struggle to survive

I agree with just about everyone, my choice would be different then her parents in this case.

however, we are not her parents...her parents think she struggles for life and that she has no suffering to die.

if she is not alive there's no harm in letting them feed her, if she is alive, it's murder to starve her.

as far as those that think the argument "her sole is trapped";

the god I believe in doesn't "trap" a soul in a body, the soul is surrendered to the god that I believe in...nothing can prevent god from welcoming any soul that he would have.

I'm sure this girl's parents believe the same

I don't believe in god and all I can go by is what I'd want if I was her or what I'd do if I were a parent of a child in that state.
I'd rather be dead than have to live that way, be treat that way and be a burden on my family.If I couldn't get up and do things and think for myself then thats not any kind of life.
And I wouldn't want my child to have to live their lives like that either,and neither would they.They are 18 and 15 and we've discussed this and they both say there'd rather not be left to live that way. :speechless:

I don't understand why the parents are involved anyway. They are married the father and mother gave their daughter away at the wedding, so the husband has the right to make any decision as vice versa does the wife if the husband was in the same situation also.

?

I will always be the parent to my child, and will always protect mt children...if that means protect them from their spose who I think means them harm, that's what I"ll do

Lee said:
I don't understand why the parents are involved anyway. They are married the father and mother gave their daughter away at the wedding, so the husband has the right to make any decision as vice versa does the wife if the husband was in the same situation also.
The parents are involved because they are her parents and it doesn't matter how old your child is you never stop caring.

Evil Marge said:
The parents are involved because they are her parents and it doesn't matter how old your child is you never stop caring.

They cannot make a decision, that's the whole thing with getting married.

It's upto the husband to make the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back