US Military

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Has anyone here been in any of the US Military branches, and if so what was it like, and what did you dislike, if you had family there how did they cope.

I'm thinking of joining so i'd like some info.

Thanks

Eight years in the Army here. Tell me what exactly you want to do in the military and I'll try to give you some guidance.

well my brother went to 4 years of college, graduated, had a ton of student loans and the jobs just weren't there. So he went into the army. He scored some ridiculous number on his tests and went into the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, CA and learned to speak Korean Fluently. Also he got all his student loans paid for and came out of the army debt free. Since he was in Intelligence he really can't tell me more than that about what he did in the army. He said he loved every minute of being there and when he got out he was able to get a really really good technical job. His family was with him pretty much the whole time he was in the army and was trained in things that he would not have been by going back to school. Just last week he got his dream and has an interview with the FBI or CIA to be an intelligence agent. The fine details of what he will do if he gets this job I can't know and what he did in the military I can't know because of security reasons but he speaks very well of his experiences

All in all for him it was a great experience. He had a pretty good deal going in so it would be different for other people but that is just one experience to help with your decision

I went for totally opposite reasons. Simply went for the adventure. I spent 6 years as an Infantryman, got to carry all kinds of hardware, travel in all kinds of land, sea and air vehicles, meet all kinds of interesting people...and kill them. LOL, you knew that was coming, didn't you? Seriously, 6 years Infantry and then got tired of walking everywhere and put in 2 years as a Gunner on M60A3 and M1 Tanks. If you want excitement, no better place. Combat Arms is a bit harder on the family life, though. You're gone from home alot, esp now with active combat theatres. To be fair, a lot of families have no trouble coping, so don't let that deter you. Have a few frinds in other brances also, if you're sights are set elsewhere.

The Navy would be the only way to go. It is the safest and the most fun. You never get sent to the front line, you get to travel, and get to try out your stuff on ladies from around the world (be careful :p, and assuming you are single)

Well i was initially looking into the Air-Force, and i am still kinda interested, but the options open to me right now are really limited because i am just a green card holder, so i can't get security clearance until i am naturalised (2yrs from now).

In the army i am looking at the Cav-scout and infantry. Which is more rewarding do you think?

I am concerned about my family, mainly for two reasons.

1) my wife relies on me for everything
2) i love my 16month old daughter beyond words and i am worried she will be damaged if i am not there as she is a pure daddies girl.

For me i don't care, i just need them to be happy, and i'll deal with the rest.

Zeke, the navy would have been my first choice, but given the fact you are away 70% of the yr, i just cant do that and be married. (well not for long anyway) :)

lancer said:
Zeke, the navy would have been my first choice, but given the fact you are away 70% of the yr, i just cant do that and be married. (well not for long anyway) :)

The navy you are more safe. The amry/marines...front line, I dont need to say much about that :p. Air force would be a good way to go then

Even in the army you would be gone, my cousin is married to a green beret and he is never home, always off somewhere. The millitary is a large commitment regaurdless of where you go, they say it mixes with relationships. It doesn't. I would consider the coast gaurd, atleast then you get to stay near home :p

zeke_mo said:
The navy you are more safe. The amry/marines...front line, I dont need to say much about that :p. Air force would be a good way to go then

Even in the army you would be gone, my cousin is married to a green beret and he is never home, always off somewhere. The millitary is a large commitment regaurdless of where you go, they say it mixes with relationships. It doesn't. I would consider the coast gaurd, atleast then you get to stay near home :p

If you don't get posted to Alaska, remember they are responsible for the coast line on both sides of teh conutry as well as alaska.
Had a friend do a post in Alaksa, he loved it, great fishing. He told me to say nothing about Alaska during the summer...So I won't mention anything more

Ok i have decided on the Air Force, with this course of action in mind.

I'll join enlisted for a 4 year term, about aug of 06, i'll apply to be naturalised as a US citizen. When i become a citizen i'll then either apply to be a warrant officer of CO. and depending on what happens i'll apply for a job change at 36months. As right now i am limited to desk like jobs until i become a citizen.

That does sound complicated, but i'l assured by the recruiter that its possible.

Best of Luck!
Hey, don't knock the desk jobs...in the Army it takes 10 people in the rear with the gear to support one person in Combat Arms. NO job is unimportant!

I'm in the Air Force doing satellite communications, and I have to say the AF a good place to be as long as you're not a cop, civil engineering, or flightline. Try to get into personnel or computers would be my advice.

The Navy is a good choice if you don't mind deploying, like to make a little more money (tax free if you're deployed to a hot zone!), and work with a lot of decent people.

Most of all, find the job you want (and that you qualify for, of course) and tell the recruiter that you refuse to sign up until he or she gets you the job you've chosen, even if you have to wait a while. And don't sign up for six years--you'll see why after you're about six months in.

why should i not sign up for six years please explain... also whats wrong with being a cop in the AF?

Thanks

That does sound complicated, but i'l assured by the recruiter that its possible.

I once had a recruter tell me i would be superman if i joined up. :p:)

Cops have it rough in most places, unless you can actually land an office job. They have long hours and are extra hardcore. Signing up for six is bad because you give up an extra two years of your life for a pittance. Reeinlisting would result in much more money in those two years.

I was trying to think of a .. nice.. way to say that if I had a wife and a young child, I'd rather die than join the armed forces. My family would come first in the context of not being away for long periods of time etc - I'd choose a different career.

Thats just my general opinion on the matter. :)

I was in the Navy stationed on the USS America. I was an ABE (Avations Boatswain's Mate) and worked on Cat 1 launching aircraft. I had a blast, but I was single and wanted to see the world. I was in during Desert Shield/Desert Storm and when my tour was over I couldn't wait to get to get some sleep! I learned how to sleep standing up, but on the bright side I enjoyed the calmness of the ocean. So it was a love/hate relationship. If I wasn't married i'd probably do it again, but I also came to the conclusion that it wasn't what I was going to do for the rest of my life. If they offer the 2 year deal take it and try it out. The best advice someone gave me was to think of it as "a vacation", and I did! I met a lot of people from different countries and went to places i'd love to go back to someday. Just make your choice wisely...

Lancer

You join up and you are being paid to kill people or be killed. Never loose sight of that.

You sign that enlistment form and you sign your CIVILian rights away. You can not quit if you don't like it. They have special military prisons for people who try to. If you try and quit in time of war they can just shoot you.

The Navy and Air Force are transfering people to the Army because the Army is getting insufficient volunteers.

As for being a military cop (any branch). A gaming buddy was in the military police. He now spends his life ****ting into a bag glued to his stomach and is in constant pain because he surprised some guys ripping off the base. They sliced up his abdomen with a knife. The military doctors were not good enough to repair him. The government would not pay for him to get a real (civilian) surgeon.

If you must (for financial reasons) enlist, join the coast guard. Land based in the US. Providing an invaluable service. Fewer people shooting at you (maybe a few drug dealers). Think about it.

Oh yeah, and don't fall for the "we'll train you in the specialty of your choice bull****". They will train you but it may be in the last few weeks of your enlistment after dodging car bombs in IRAQ for 4 years.

Good luck.

The most important thing in joining the military is to make sure you get a job that gives you experience for a job outside the military that you would like to be doing. When I joined I had a great applitude toward mechanices, well duh my dad is a deisel mechanic, but I wouldn't want that job. But boy did they push it, tank mechanic, generator mechanic, anything you can think of mechanic. The recruiters will tell you ANYTHING to get you accept whatever job their pitching.

Granted I knew all this before hand, and left MEPS 4X before they finaly gave me the job I wanted, 31F (Telecom job). Now when I joined the militray the ARMY was the only branch that garenteed your job in writting. Not sure if that has changed, but I promiss you this, what ever job you sign up for, is the job you will be doing. PERIOD! Don't let them BS you into thinking you can switch jobs later, cause it will never happen.

Do not sign up for a 6 year term unless your job requires it!! Take a 4 year term and re-up if that is what you want to do. Nice thing about that is you get the re-up bonus, plus (in the ARMY anyway) you get choice of stations. Very good thing incase your first PDS (permanent duty station) sucks. Inaddition, re-up'ing you can talk your way to get additional schools for other cool jobs or more pay.

No matter what, the MOST important thing, GET IT IN WRITTING!!!!!!!!! Your job, any schools on sign up (like airborne, air assult, whatever) get it all in writting before you sign! If it is not in writting, your not getting it!

Also know this, you can request everything you want when you join. When I joined the ARMY, I demanded my MOS, Schools, and PDS and had it all in writting before I signed.

If I was you I would print this post out for reference, read it till you remember every point I have made in it, you will regret it otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back