Urgent!!!

O

oceanview

Hello,
I have been getting low disk space messages from drive C which is strange as all apps are on D. Anyway, is it possible to XCOPY all files /folders from old C to new C drive?

Please advise, and thank you.

Regards...

well, how much space is on your c drive? What's installed? How big is the drive? If you find it odd, you should find out why. Perhaps you have the Kazaa worm...

As far as moving to a new c drive, you will have to use imaging software, such as Norton Ghost or Drive Image. DI is easier to use, but supposedly Ghost is more reliable. However, do some reading first, it is a major operation.

It's about 3.0g...with XP installed. The other partition D, is 6g with all APPS installed to D. This is why I find it strange.

Which Kazaa worm is this?

Thank you....
(used to live in Waltham...)

It's about 3.0g...with XP installed. The other partition D, is 6g with all APPS installed to D. This is why I find it strange.

Which Kazaa worm is this?

Thank you....
(used to live in Waltham...)

Don't know anything about the Kazaa worm, someone else here will know and Google definitely knows much about it.
Don't know much about your specifications still. Are you saying you have one harddrive of 9 GB with two partitions of 3 and 6 GB?
Three GB is not much for XP. Do these 3 GB contain your Documents and Settings folder? You can save some space used by XP by turning off hibernation, limiting disc usage of recycle bin, system restore, temporary internetfiles and running the disc cleanup utility.
Better get yourself a new drive and don't install XP in anything below five GB.

yoyo...you are correct....I'm trying to move everything to a bigger drive without having to reinstall OS. There has to be a way to do this....I got the xcopy thing figured out...I was missing the T switch...but I won't boot after copying the files.....says "missing operating system"....

I'll keep trying...and thanks...

Check yer settings for "Recycle Bin" also maybe it's not empty??? Also "Temporary Internet Files" "Temp Files" "System Restore" settings and such... Also the Cache in your Web Browser(s) takes up space. Do a "Disk Cleanup" and see what shows up. Maybe that's why you're running out of space.

try running chkdsk as there may be a file system error causing the free space to be misinterpreted its happend to me i lost 6gb so thats why im mentioning it

I wouldn't suggest the files ad settings transfer wizard. The one time I used it, it took forever and I still had to recover some of the settings manually from backups that I had made.
I would suggest just bitting the bullet and reinstalling on a new hard drive. If you copy it over by using Ghost or Drive Image, the problem is that they image the partition so when you restore the images on the new drive you wind up with the same size partition that cause all the problems to begin with.

1) you haven't told us how big your C: drive is. Is it a 3 gig partition (in this case, it really is too small for XP, espcially if you have your paging file there) or is it a bigger partition with 3 gigs of used space (would be about right for XP plus some saved docs etc.)

2)
I would suggest just bitting the bullet and reinstalling on a new hard drive. If you copy it over by using Ghost or Drive Image, the problem is that they image the partition so when you restore the images on the new drive you wind up with the same size partition that cause all the problems to begin with.

Ghost or DI will be be fine. Except: 1) Ghost will only go back on a FAT 32 partition and the partition will be the same size as before, so I suggest you then use partition magic and do some merging.

yoyo, dreamliner77, and others....
thank you very much for your replies.....all are helpful...

dreamliner77, I posted earlier on (mesg 3/4 about drive size),

anyway here is what's happening now...

I've done fresh install of XP on another drive...then set that drive as D, and put original back as C and xcopied the files on top of new XP install on D. Got my directory structure, except some folders a empty....checking xcopy switches to see if I missed one...

will also try manually copying files over by doing two winexplorer windows and comparing directories. Maybe this will work.

Thank you...

I've used Norton Ghost with XP...you'll need at least the 2002 version though. No problems going between different hard drive sizes either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back