Urgent reply needed.

ming

OSNN Advanced
I need to change the HSF of my current Athlon XP machine, but just realised that the new HSF is much heavier than the HSF I previously had. The new one is a Thermaltake Volcano 12 and weighs about 710g. Need to know whether the motherboard can take such a heavy load on the ZIF socket or will I need one of those retention brackets for it? The HSF doesn't seem to have any support for retention brackets. I can only see the clips that clip on to the side of the ZIF socket.

What should I do??

Edit: Fitted it on and hopefully it won't rip the whole socket off. :)

Last edited:
do you go to lan parties or generally move your case around a lot? if not, i would say you're okay.

Last edited:
I don't go to lan parties but I do knock it about sometimes by accident. lol :p

well, I've changed it over to the new hsf and the thing is like a brick hanging off a thread. machine is all quiet and the cpu is very cool. :)

That's 50% over the weight standard. Do not knock it about or bounce it off the desk when moving the case around. It will probably hodl on ok as long as it is a three hole clip. If it is 1 hole DO NOT USE IT!

its will be fine. as long as the system does not oer heat at all. or as long as its a good well made motherboard with a GOOD CPU socket on it. ECS nad MSI have known issues with that at work. but i would not do that if i had an ECS board

I must say that even if you go quite often to LAN parties with such a heavy CPU HS, it won't matter, as long as you don't make brusque movements. If you handle the transport with the necessary care, it really won't have noticeable negative effects! ;)

The one i have just fitted ( Zalman 7700Cu ) is 918 g.
It nearly broke my wrist, lifting it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back