urgent help required

ill keep everyone informed, but i sure as hell hope its a psu problem and nothing to do with my motherboard. i really need to get on my computer, i had work to do this weekend!

ok, the psu has returned, and is fitted. but its still not booting up.

i need urgent help, i have a ton of work to be done, quite alot of which for tomorrow, and this thing is still buggered.

help!
aim: hybridlovesyou
msn: carboncopyhero

hybrid said:
ok, the psu has returned, and is fitted. but its still not booting up.

i need urgent help, i have a ton of work to be done, quite alot of which for tomorrow, and this thing is still buggered.

help!
aim: hybridlovesyou
msn: carboncopyhero

Sounds to me like you have a bad MB. My dads computer had the same problem that you are having and it was the MB.

see, first you guys tell me its the power supply, which i spent £7 shipping and over a week waiting for. now im told its the motherboard, which ill have to return and wait for.

i have a potential client looking to see some of my work. i told him that id upload some stuff by friday, as ill not see him after that. tomorrow is friday. i could be losing out on a few grand here, so i need to know what i need to do, and how to fix it as fast as possible.

i will supply any more info if you need it. please please help.

can you go lateral?

hybrid said:
ill keep everyone informed, but i sure as hell hope its a psu problem and nothing to do with my motherboard. i really need to get on my computer, i had work to do this weekend!
OK - now I see why I haven't heard from you, the NIC will be the least of your concerns. But the fact you wanted one makes me think there's another computer there (your brothers?) is there some way you could think about:-
a) Using that one instead temporarily (since today is Friday!
b) swapping components with it to eliminate probs on your dead one?
c) swapping out HD to get access to bits you need on other machine?
Of course all those ideas depend on the existence of the other PC which could just be a figment of my imagination.

One other thought - tell your client it was Friday the 13th and hope for some sympathy or another week before their deadline.

You sure have my sympathy anyway - and I'm holding that NIC and the MoDem for ya! ;)

PS - Lesson for the future, build in redundancy - have a backup machine, network them and keep crucial stuff on external drive if you can afford one or external medium like DVD/CD if start up has to be cheap.

you are indeed correct, i do have another machine. it refuses to accept my hard drive though, so i cant get to any of my files. it also appears that it is the motherboard causing problems, so swapping parts wont help either.

the client understood, and says there is no rush. i felt like i was letting him down though. thanks for the obvious advice, i really outta listen:p and thanks for holding the stuff, ill send your things when i go to post the motherboard back.

the main concern however is fixing my machine. im returning the motherboard it seems, but is that even the problem?

oh man - electrical engineer advice needed!

hybrid said:
...im returning the motherboard it seems, but is that even the problem?
:confused: I know how you feel - kinda.... but any electrical engineers out there might be able to indicate one thing of many.... first thing kinda obvious - it's amazing the damage a bad PSU can do. So first hope is that the MB took the whole hit. I am worried about the HD though, but they can be sensitive and it may not "like" the other machine. Sorry for stating obvious - hopefully the MB will be the end of your troubles - and I am glad your customer is bearing with you. All you need is the revenue and I feel sure you'll be protected against this in future - I myself am just waiting on my next pay check for external 250GB HD then I wil back up the whole damn wi-fi network here.... :D :cool: :eek: stay safe ;)

hybrid said:
see, first you guys tell me its the power supply, which i spent £7 shipping and over a week waiting for. now im told its the motherboard, which ill have to return and wait for.

I never told you it was the PSU so I'm clean on that one :) Now you have to understand that about the only thing we can do is guess what the problem is since the computer isnt in front of us. I really dont know why everyone jumped on it being a bad PSU when you could have broke the board installing the new HS. Lets just hope you didnt crush the core when you installed the HS.

i decide to have another crack at sticking my hard drive into this machine (compaq pressario 700mhz) to see what happened under different circumstances, in an attempt that you guys might be able to tell me weither or not its ****ed.

first, i connected it on the secondary bit of the ide cable, and used a spare cable from the power supply, so it was bascially running alongside the 20gb hard drive thats in this computer already. it found the hard drive (still in dos booting up) and restarted. then instead of the regular boot sequence, it said 'disk read error, please hit ctrl-alt-del' so i did. several times, and it took me round in circles.

then i tried running it WITHOUT the other hard drive attached. it booted ok, but then weird characters and colours flashed up on screen, and it restarted. again, this happened in a circle, again and again and again it did this, until i reconnected the original hard drive, and came on here to report.

does it need replacing now too? have i lost everything?

well if anyone could tell me, that would really help!

edit - im going to have to ship whatever parts dont work tomorrow, the motherboard and hard drive both came from the same place, so ill have to know what to do with the hard drive, is it buggered?

hybrid said:
... the hard drive, is it buggered?
errr... wish I could give you an answer! There are ways to get them back and ways to determine the amount of "buggeredness" they are in, neither of which am I profficient in (sorry :eek: ) BUT I await the post that answers you with interest.... :D ;) :cool:

You know something? If the hdd is new and you think you have issues with it alone, how about calling the manufacture? I had bought a 120gb Maxtor in Jan and it died on me. I called them, not this forum, and they told me how to check it and after that it was determined that mine was bad and they are sending me a replacement as we speak. If these parts are knew, i would at least call the place you got them from and ask them what you can do to check each part out. No need in getting pissy with people here. We are only trying to help. Like Dubbin1 said, it's not in front of any one of us. Hope this helps.

the hdd and motherboard are being posted today. they both seemed pretty ****ed.

my apoligies for taking this out on any of you. im just majorly stressing because ive lost so much work.

so i replaced the parts, and sent the processor back as the last item to be replaced. no theyre telling me the processor is fine, but its the only part that COULD be faulty.

before shipping the processor, the system seemed to be powering up, but not booting. the psu was coming on, and the leds for the ram and video card were lighting up, but it wasnt booting.

i dont know whats going on, but thee processor should be back wednesday-ish. until then i need to find out whats wrong so i can have it working when it comes back.

andy ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back