Urgent help needed! Lost password need help.

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I work at a internet cafe and we have a computer running windows xp pro with sp2 update. Recently one of our workers left for the mainland and changed the admin password. We wanted to do updates but cant because we don't have admin and I read somewhere of a way to force yourself into windows admin.

I was curious if anyone could help me getting control so I could do my updates. I read of a program called LC5 or something that allows you to scan computers on your network to get the password. ( btw this is a legal program from what I understand).

Anyone here know another route? Or could assist me on how to login as admin?

Sorry if this sounds really shady or malicious, im completley stuck right now and formating is now an option because our computer holds are smartlaunch database and records of all our customers.

Thank You,
homesick1337

P.S your help is greatly and urgently needed.

I also hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum. If so I appologize.

no cause nt is part of xp. Like xp is more for regular users I cant really explain it right now. The first link should work work with w/e xp u have.

edit: try here they have programs on here u can use. it also says u can also restore to a different date. also this guy also needs an admin password http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?styleid=8&s=&threadid=1139

Also try booting in safe mode and changing the password in there.

TittleBitties said:
no cause nt is part of xp. Like xp is more for regular users I cant really explain it right now. The first link should work work with w/e xp u have.
ok and i still retain all my files etc right? And XP Pro with sp2?

Should i use a XP Pro cd? XP pro with sp1 cd or XP pro with sp2 cd to do this?

btw thanks for the info.

TittleBitties said:
try w/e xp cd u have. also try http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml. If that dont work just go to the sites i posted above.
the last one seems the easiest. Basiclly it just runs in my guest account on the machine and scans a file for the password right? If so off all the 3 what one would you pick if you were me?

Thanks again , sorry for so much questions this whole thing is all new to me.

yeah pretty much. That program should work if not try restoring to a different date using system restore. Not sure if the system restore works but i guess it would make since. If u do use system restore u will have to find a date before the password was changed and will lost programs installed since that date. And if they dont work try going into safe mode under admin and go to control panel,administrative tools,computer management Then click local users and groups then click users and then double click on administrator and then change the password from there.

if you can get into the machine with any account other than guest accoiunt you can open the start menu and select run and type
cmd

in the command window you can type
net user administrator 1234

this will change the administrators password to 1234

Doing a repair from CD will overwrite all files with whatever is on CD.
If CD is SP1 but you have SP2 on system now then after repair you will have SP1 and may run into problems after the repair.

wow...i feel stupid :(. lol...good job answering with an easy answer egg :).

TittleBitties said:
wow...i feel stupid :(. lol...good job answering with an easy answer egg :).
you can change any passworded account on xp if you know the account name

try it

open a new account and create a password for it

net user accountname newpassword
the account will now have the new password you created

and people thought xp was secure?

give everyone guest access only or else you can get owned hehe

if you have a windows 2000 boot disk handy you can use that to bypass a password by using the recovery console

egghead said:
you can change any passworded account on xp if you know the account name

try it

open a new account and create a password for it

net user accountname newpassword
the account will now have the new password you created

and people thought xp was secure?

give everyone guest access only or else you can get owned hehe

if you have a windows 2000 boot disk handy you can use that to bypass a password by using the recovery console
LOL you got to be kidding me.

So i could use the guest account i have and just type in the admin name i have and set my own password thru a guest account?

you cannot change any passwords using the default guest account

you can if you have any accounts with some kind of admin access.
example - create a new default account
you can change all passwords to whatever you like but it will not work if you are logged into a guest only account

egghead said:
you cannot change any passwords using the default guest account

you can if you have any accounts with some kind of admin access.
example - create a new default account
you can change all passwords to whatever you like but it will not work if you are logged into a guest only account
right now my account i have access to is a typical guess account,i can save and have access to console etc. I dont think its admin, im guessing its a guess account. Its called Cashier and my main account is admin.

But i got locked out of admin.

Arent there only 2 types of accounts Admin and Guest?

Also if you were me what would u say is the best and easiest option to going about this?

I really don't have the answers as I am not a very complex xp accounts person.

you can create 2 accounts tyoes

computer administrator and limited

limited accounts you cannot install programs etc..

most people create accounts as computer admin so they can do most jobs

if your system is used for the public it would be common that you would not want people to install programs.

But if you can get into any account that is not a limited account you are in.

try the net user command
if it won't work it will say access denied.

egghead: I will definatley find out in the next hour. Im heading into the store to try. I think it might be limited. I have access to console and can install programs just about everything but access my control panels. I even installed sp update 2 thru cashier. The only thing i cant get is my control panels to show. So im going to guess its a limited account.

Either way thank you for the help.

Whats this also about a 2000 boot disc and info on how to get one and how to do it ? if possible. Sorry for so many questions.

can you access the run box and get to a command prompt? if you can it would be possible to change your password as i think it is not limited account

not sure why control panel is disabled but this sounds like the account has admin privledges and has a third party program installed to disable some functions.

do you know if the files you want are encrypted?

this is very important.

If they are not encrypted you can remove the hard drive and put it in another computer as a second drive and ccopy the directory to the other hard drive and take ownership of the directory and have full access to the files..if the folders have been encrypted you cannot retrieve the files. you need the encryption key which is only available through the admin account

Egghead: im leaving in 15 min to check, but yes i can access cmd prompt, i use it often to do ipconfig etc. I think files are encrpyed, there database files for our records on sales.

You can type control userpasswords2 in the run box to see what access level each account has or just type net user username in a command prompt and it will list the access level.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back