Urgent Help, From Anyone With Business Knoledge

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
Hi all,

I have a problem and am asking a favour.

My mum owns a company, it is LTD and when she originally started the company she was in partnership with her friend.

They were both directors, and both were the single share holders.

Her friend decided she no longer wanted to participate in the business, she signed off her directorship but would not sign off her share of the business.

My mum is now the director but she has one share and so does her 'EX' friend. her friend will not sign the share over to my mums new business partner.

I was wondering if there is anyway she can get rid of her friends share? maybe a lupole or something?

As a director can she not decide this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skazz

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
Hi all,

I have a problem and am asking a favour.

My mum owns a company, it is LTD and when she originally started the company she was in partnership with her friend.

They were both directors, and both were the single share holders.

Her friend decided she no longer wanted to participate in the business, she signed off her directorship but would not sign off her share of the business.

My mum is now the director but she has one share and so does her 'EX' friend. her friend will not sign the share over to my mums new business partner.

I was wondering if there is anyway she can get rid of her friends share? maybe a lupole or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skazz

any specifics in terms of the details of the contractual agreement when the biz was setup ?

is/was it a 50/50 setup or what? since you say your mom was the owner and no mention of the partner as owner... just a joint director...

My mum is registered as the owner with the company house, it is still a 50/50 setup, my mum is able to give as many shares out as she wants,

But she does not want her ex friend to have any shares.

Skazz

Its is a LTD company, 2 Directors 1 share each.

She terminated her directorship.

How can she get the 1 share back if she won't sign?

Skazz

Its is a LTD company, 2 Directors 1 share each.

She terminated her directorship.

How can she get the 1 share back if she won't sign?

Skazz

I dont know the terms of the partnership so I have no idea what agreements were made @ the beginning in case of someone leaving the directorship or whatever you are calling it..

if there is a clause detailing what happens in case one person leaves the company... go ahead and act on that...

dewd.. even if you find a loop hole you will find yourself in court from the "Ex Friend" so you might as well hire a lawyer and do it right in the first place.

Oh... I don't know how things work over there in the UK, but here in the US most lawyers will give you somewhat of a free consultation, so you should give one a call.

On another note... 499 posts! next one is 500! :-D

I was wondering if there is anyway she can get rid of her friends share? maybe a lupole or something

Well yes and no. Legally she has got the power as a director to get the company to buy back the share from her friend by changing the articles of association by ordinary resolution to allow this. But as her friend owns 50% of the voting rights she can veto any change.

Your mum could petition the courts forcing the friend to sell her share back to the company or your mum as her owning a share might not be in ther interests of the company.

She could try to have a word with one if the partners at the company's accountants, they might help, or maybe a solicitor.

On a side note, I take it she is the director and somebody else is the company secretary because legally the sole director of a company cannot also be the company secretary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back