*Urgent* DHCP server quit working

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

Sorry about the Urgent tag, but I am at a real loss here.

This is for a winserver2003SBS. Everything WAS working fine up until now.

This is a main DC, with DHCP service.

The DHCP service quit working, I can get on the net with the DC, but cannot acces the files on the DC with the workstations. I cannot connect to the DC via Remote desktop either.

I have tried several times the Un/Re authorize the DHCP server, to no avail. I have rebooted and an error comes up on reboot that a service or driver failed. I check the event veiwer and it says something "Warning" "RemoteAccess" "The system cannot contact a DHCP server"

Everytime I open up the DHCP Server interface, It shows as "not Connected", then when I move my mouse over it, it then shows as "Active", but it still won't work from a workstation.

Please someone assist me, I really need this thing running properly for tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Re: *Urgent* DCHP server quit working

uninstall the DHCP service from control panel > add/remove programs > windows components, reboot, reinstall DHCP.

Should fix it.

If not go find a shotgun :D

Thanks for your response, LofLA

I am crossing my fingers that, hopefully, it will do it.

I am returning out there tomorrow morning.

I hope I don't need that shotgun.

Thanks again,

Heeter

Sorry, Bud

That didn't work,

I have no idea how to fix this............

Heeter

is there a firewall on the server? if so check its not blocking dchp requests, what is the ip/scope of the network, has the ip of the server been changed somehow

It sounds like it's time to roll up your sleves and start doing some network packet inspection.
You should installed the Network Monitor on your server if you haven't already (it's under Add/Remove components in one of the sub-menus). You can also use Ethereal if you don't want to use the native MSFT tool.​
Once you have a tool installed installed, you can use to it capture all the packets going in and out of the server. You should see DHCP broadcast packets going into the server, and hopefully it responds to the machines with DHCP lease information.​
Here is a packet walk through I found in a quick search:​
If you scroll down, then you can see the network activity with a DHCP Discover (the client looking for a DHCP server), and the DHCP server repsonding with a DHCP offer.​
If you don't see the packet coming into the server, then for some reason the broadcast packet from the client (hopefully on the same subnet as the DHCP server, otherwise you need a DHCP relay/helper) isn't making it to the server.​
If you see the packed comign into the server, but no response from the server, then there is something wrong with the DHCP service. Either the scopes were configured wrong, or the service isn't running/authorized.​
If you see it respond, and the data it's handing the client (you can see some of it in the packet) looks correct, then you need to check to see if the packet is making it back to the client (you may have to install NetMon/Ethereal on the client to do this).​
In either case you need to validate that the packets are going where they need to. Like with the ISA server, ISA was blocking the inbound packets from getting to the DHCP service, so the DHCP service would have never responded.​

Thanks for your responses, 3D

I will go through this list and check back................

Thanks

Heeter

UPDATE:

although I still have no idea what is going on. I just found out that a couple of days ago, the office had tried installing VMWare server onto the DC.

They couldn't get it to work so they uninstalled it. Seems like that might be the issue as well.

I don't know why the boss lets people touch the DC, but it is not helping out right now in the least bit.

Heeter

Hi Guys,

I keep getting the same service or driver failed error concerning the DHCP service upon reboot.

Heeter

only thing i can think of is vmware has installed a virtual device, so you might ant to look under device manager.

What anti virus do you have on there? Is there anything else on the network that might be acting as a dhcp?

Thanks for your reply, 3D

The antivirus is NOD 15 cal server version. Hasn't been an issue, working flawlessly until this situation. I double checked the router to make sure that it wasn't acting as a DHCP server. It is good on that front.

I will check the DM.

Heeter

an idea just popped into my head - i'm wondering if the vmware server did something to winsock layer, may have hooked something in, you could try resting that and see if that helps.

I'm out of here for 2 weeks now, hope you get it sorted

Great, 3D

I will try that.

Thanks a million for your help, I don't think a rep point is good enough to describe your assistance.

Let's see if this helps...............

Boss is talking about removing me from here already....:cry:

Thanks again

Heeter

What is the event log saying?

Ofcourse if the boss is talking about letting you go I'd not work to hard on it..

To get you up and running quickly, while inconvenient, if this is the environment with only 12 PC's, I would go workstation to workstation and set static IP's that are valid within the network. For example, if your scope was 10.1.1.100-10.1.1.150, give them all an IP within that range, with a valid subnet, gateway and DNS. That should restore functionality assuming there are no other network connectivity problems. Technically speaking, that's the only real thing that the DHCP server is doing. Other than other advanced stuff, but this will restore the basic functionality to get the boss off your back until you fix it.

Once everyone is fat and happy again, you can work on your DHCP server issue. When the DHCP server is up and running, simply go to each workstation or put a login script to reset thet LAN connections back to DHCP.

There should also be more detailed information in the event viewer around what is happening. Do the statics, try some more stuff with the DHCP server and look at the event viewer close to the date/time you try to fix it. I would also verify that your server is up to date with patches and such. Un-install any software that has been installed recently, such as the VMware stuff, and see what happens

Thanks for the ideas, Guys.

The only error the event viewer is giving is about the DHCP service not starting.

I will get the full read on what the event viewer is stating in a bit.

I will issue static IP addresses right away.

Unfortunately, this is my only source of income for now.............

Heeter

Thanks for all your help guys,

I issued static IP's to all workstation for now, everything has stabilized, gives me some breathing room.

Heeter

That's good news. Did you grab the event IDs from the event viewer for the DHCP errors?

I will be back there this morning, I will grab the errors codes when I get there.

Thanks again,

Heeter

This thread is hilarious. Lord seems to be only sane one. Give us the EVENT LOG errors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back