URGENT Copy XP registry as a backup

P

petdevils

G'day all,

Currently my XP is messed up and i plan to reinstall/reformat in a few days. Now what i want to do when i get it up again is keep a copy of the registry constantly updated on CDRW incase i have in problems later so i can simply wack in the CDRW and replace the file and fix any probs. I just want to use Win Regedit, if i do an "export" and create a *.reg file is that enough....is that an exact copy of the registry or is there a "fuller/better" way to do it? I did a test copy at the moment(while messed up ) and the file is a bout 60 megs in size (12 gig of stuff on harddrive) does that sound about the right size?

Please let me know you're opinions asap as you guys surely know more about this shit than i, and i want to keep things smooth with my reinstall.

Thanks for your time

Sincerely

Petdevils

Edited by MdSalih:Please keep the language clean.

I believe that www.winxpnews.com is running an article on that now. If not, it's in their archives or perhaps here in the archives. Doesn't system backup take care of that?? Anybody?? I don't use system backup, so I'm not totally sure about it's capabilities.....

60 megs is huge for a registry. I thought the limit was 14 megs......?

perhaps

Perhaps "mate", a little less gutter language would make your devilish self a bit more productive???:confused:

Dear MdSalih

Edited by MdSalih:Please keep the language clean.

fair enuff, sorry man i thought that was merely a formality too be ignored as is the case on many other sites, i'll keep it clean for ya now i know. taa :)

Sincerely

Petdevils

Re: perhaps

Hey RADEXTREMIST

Originally posted by RADEXTREMIST
Perhaps "mate", a little less gutter language would make your devilish self a bit more productive???:confused:

"MATE" Relax a little will ya, no need to get an attitude, maybe the tip for you should be to keep it a little more friendly, sheesh. MdSalih said his bit and i respect that, i don't know y you felt you had to chime in?

chill and get over it... considering it's your first post you're not starting out on a good foot.

later

Thanks to you other guys who offered suggestions, i had a look at these however they're not quite what i'm hoping to do.

I simply want to know which is best: a copy of the registry straight exported straight from Regedit, or manually copying the registry in explorer (if the latter...then where is it and what is it called?)

So if you know the answer than i'm all ears.

Thanks again :)

C:\windows\system32\config
The files "SAM" Security" "Software" "System" and "default" are the permanent parts of the registry are stored as a set of files for HKLM

"MATE" Relax a little will ya, no need to get an attitude, maybe the tip for you should be to keep it a little more friendly, sheesh. MdSalih said his bit and i respect that, i don't know y you felt you had to chime in?

chill and get over it... considering it's your first post you're not starting out on a good foot.

Sorry,(NOT!) I'm really a Win 2000 man learning, or trying to, why XP
even exist :confused:

Trust me though, I get enough trashmouths in my work and really need it not in a BBS forum. As for "y" I felt I should chime in, it's still a semi-free country and I really owe you no explanation and certainly need not your services as *judge* of my first post.. :cool:

Re: Re: perhaps

Originally posted by petdevils
Hey RADEXTREMIST

later

Watch out dude, the language Nazis run rampant in these forums....:rolleyes:

I'd like too say.....(too all)

later
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'd truly LIKE to say I'm sorry that, just as in movies/television today, I; in order to "go along" was mistaken in pointing out that in what I thought to be a forum for shared X-periences, etc. I thought it cool to use the F word ad nauseum, along w/ all the others. I cannot, however.

Perhaps if this is concieved to be an *entertaining * :confused: meeting place with mildly feeble minded posts w/ no helpful content; I'm simply docked at the wrong port :cool:

I was initially attracted here for quite the opposite and feel it has great potential. I did NOT intend to anger anyone or try and impose my morals on others. Perhaps, I could even be of some help to you ladies and gents. That is if YOU guys would chill and get over it :D

Dear RADEXTREMIST,

This is pointless agro, peace would be nice, i don't care for carrying this on. i made a mistake, i apologised, nothing more i can do. Hope you agree and no more agro in future ok. Have a good day.

Petdevils

Agree

I too feel the string has served it's purpose. BTW, some of my best "e-friends" have been bred of a disagreement. :p

Apology not even necessary, but THX! Take care man....

Re: Eolis

Originally posted by petdevils
Hey Eolis,

Nice sig man :)

It's "borrowed", but thanx all the same, mate...:D

Just foolin' with ya there.......;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back