upload_max_filesize setting

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
What are the reasons for this seemingly quite low default setting of 2MB and negative possible consequences for raising the limit?

I'm enjoying my Chyrp! blogging but have found this restricts me blogging my upcoming concert with the 136MB MP3 file! Yet I can quite happily FTP and host the file that way.... I'm pretty sure I COULD work around the issue - but the default Chyrp feather uses the upload function.

This is my not so subtle way of seeing if Lord wants to up the limit as he does my hosting :lick: (thankyou thankyou!). I genuinely do want to understand the issue though, and am not entirely serious about wanting to assault my innocent blog readers with Elgars Dream of Gerontius! :speechless:

The upload size is set to a small limit because each time that someone uploads a file, the file is saved to a temporary location, and the PHP process has to spend time writing the file to disk, thereby having a long running HTTP connection, something the web server was not designed to do in the first place.

Thanks for the explanation X - makes sense. I guess that is a no then Lord... ;) I can live with 2MB but would have quite liked 4.... I'll be off to see the way to frig Chyrp to work around this now I think.... Pretty sure it'll be a simple database poke....

just call me lazy... Chyrp gives me linkie and I like to use it, saves openning FTP client when I am blogging

HTTP/PHP are not for large files :) Lazy or not it uses more resources than necessary to do a job that FTP, SFTP and SCP were designed for :)

But then you don't get to use all those flash upload_progress thingers :p

I agree there - I'm quite happy with my progress bar in Filezilla....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back