Upgrading Win2000 to WinXP HOME??

S

saltek

Hi,

Windows ME came installed on my year old Compaq PC. I immediately installed Win2000 on it for obvious reasons. I subsequently purchased the WinXP Home upgrade through Compaq. As you know, we no longer get OS CDs but restore CDs with our PCs. I'd like to 3 boot Win XP Home with Win2000 and my Mandrake Linux installation.

Is there a way or bypass that will allow me to install WinXP Home with Windows 2000 instead of me having to find a 98 or ME CD ? (Assuming it will ask for the CD.)

Remember, I own this software, and have Win2000 on only one PC.

I'm just trying to prevent a lot of leg work!!

Thanks for your time,

Steve

XP home can upgrade from 95/98/98se/ME not 2000

Only way round it is to do fresh install, but as you only have upgrade, i dunno if that would work, as far as im aware.

Probably no way other than getting a 98/Me (not 95) disk.

You will HAVE to provide a previous canditdite operating system (windows Me, XP home does not support installing on windows 2000).

Just swap the XP CD with the Windows ME CD when asked.

"As you know, we no longer get OS CDs but restore CDs with our PCs"
---------------------------------
I think the concern is that Compaq does not provide an OS CD to use as a "candidate" for the upgrade. However, the restore CDs have the actual OS install files on them. Steve, when installing XP when it asks you for a valid candidate insert your restore CD and the XP install should find what it needs.

I think that's the way. I thougth there might be a bypass like there was with previous versions. I've got NT, 2000 but I haven't had a Win98 CD for years! As long as it picks up the files on the restore disk, I'll be fine!

Thanks for your time and help!

Steve

Don't know why this works (never seen it happen b4), but for some reason when I went to install xp home (upgrade) it didnt work bc i was upgrading win2k, so just for the hell of it I tried anyway's and..... badda bing badda boom, I could do a full "clean install" of windows xp home!!! give it a try see if it works for you!!, I'm wondering if it's just my friend's cd or if MS has changed the way there disk(s) are set up. Becouse it is a legit UPGRADE cd, of XP home. So just restart your pc with xp home in it and see if it lets you do a full install aswell.:D

I've run this test three times, each time it get's faster (could this be a good sign?) ha-ha!

1.8 megabits per second
215.8 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.7 seconds

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back