Upgrading to XP has screwed up my network

F

Furnace

Hi,

Upgraded to XP Home yesterday from Windows ME, upgrade went very smooothly and everything else is working fine.

However if i click on "My Network places" nothing happens for nearly a minute then it opens up, and once inside i cant connect to any of the network drives i had setup and i cant view any of the other computers on my network and they cant see me. I have run the XP Networking wizard again and then run that on the other computers but it doesnt work.

I know the network hardware is working fine as I access the internet through a router/switch.

I cant think of anything else i would need to run other than the wizard and im annoyed that i had everything working and then windows XP has screwed up the whole thing.

First thing i would like to sort out is why my network places takes so long to load, then i wanna get it actually showing the rest of the network.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks

Furnace

personally, I never "upgrade" OS's. Thats dirty, always try to backup, fdisk, repartition, format then install.
Did u see if you have the workgroup name the same on all comps?

yeah, im thinking now i might start over again and do a clean install and try again.

The work group is the same on each PC. Still cant figure this out. Why did it change all the settings when i installed it?

nope, i can ping my router and everything else on the internet, but none of the computers on the network

I had the exact same problem.:mad: upgrading to proffesional.
Simply turn off the computers connected, AND turn of the router. Then trun everything on again, I reinstalled XP Pro twice before i tried this :(

Also have you set all the computers to one oragisation name i.e.Home

they are all in the workgroup MSHOME ( the default one it sets)

also, everything was turned off completely over nite, so it should of all been fresh for this morning

ok, got an update, i can now ping all the other computers on the network and the internet, now all i need to do is get windows to show them in "My network places" , only problem is "My network places" takes ages to load up and crashes all the time... whats going on there?

Hmm. Try setting the card to half duplex. Also make sure you've enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in your network settings. Or something has just screwed up and you have to reinstall.

if I was you I'd set aside an afternoon and format that biotch. You're gonna run into more problems and its gonna be a hell of a lot less stable if you just keep the "upgrade"

Just wondering but have u got ZoneAlarm on?

whenever i want to LAN ZoneAlarm gives me major headaches. I can't see other peeps and other peeps can't see me. (that kinda means its doing its job i guess)

Just turn it off =P

i dont have zone alarm and the XP firewall is disabled

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back