Upgrading some stuff...Need opinions please

P

PowerHour

Hey guys, need to upgrade the heck out of my system and after a bit of hunting, I've come up with the following pieces.

Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB PC 2700 DDR RAM

AMD ATHLON 2200+Thoroughbred XP

I can get these for about 275$ cdn.

Clearly I'm not looking for super high performance, just a good system on a budget. Anyone care to share opinions, comments etc on the brands or what I could/should get instead?

I don't really know a lot about the companies here so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

NF7 board is better.. IMO.. i'm planning to RMA mine and get it.

also, if you want a budget computer, might as well upgrade a little bit more too, it will help in the long run.

look out for a 2500XP 333FBS, instead of the 2200XP.. its not much more, and its a heck of a lot better,

the ram you chose is good depending on your plans, 512 is normal now, and you can get a good stick of 512 PC2700 for around 75 bucks.

Well a 512 stick might happen anyway. It's really a toss up at this point. But my roommate yelled at me for even thinking of not getting 512:( . Another thing that might happen is a 2500+ Barton. I definitely am not hardline about the things mentioned in the first post, if I can find good things that don't cost a ton more I'm jumping on them.

Originally posted by PowerHour
Well a 512 stick might happen anyway. It's really a toss up at this point. But my roommate yelled at me for even thinking of not getting 512:( . Another thing that might happen is a 2500+ Barton. I definitely am not hardline about the things mentioned in the first post, if I can find good things that don't cost a ton more I'm jumping on them.

the motherboard is the same cost, with a better reputation.. the 2500+ is a 333FBS which will help for future software and yada yada blah blah,.. and the 512 stick is definitly the way to go.. if your sticking with the A7N8X-X then grab 2x256 and run them sync'd.. which is just putting them both in the blue ram modules. im not sure if you can sync them in the NF7

What's the difference between running 2 sticks sync'd and running a single 512?

Goatman Dudes, he's got a A7V8X-X, not A7N8X-X

One of them has very easy overclockability right? which one was that? I don't have any of the pages for them in front of me right now and I don't remember.

Recommend one of the other?

A7V8X is a Via KT400 board, I do believe. The A7N8X is a NVidia board.

exactly, the Nforce 2 board (A7N8X) is a great board, the Via one is a little dated now

i've heard that that ASUS mobo got probs according the quite a few threads in this forum.
can't remember what they're all about but if you go searching for them you will find out.

If you are thinking of clocking the Xp2200+ is a bad choice, its the chip I have in my A7n8x and it falls over as soon as i get much more than 50mhz above its normal speed :(

The Asus A7N8X-X is an NForce 2 400 chipset, which does NOT run memory in dual-channel mode. Make sure you get the NForce 2 chipset and not the 400.

Information from NVidia here

2500+ are only 90 bucks on newegg is the 2200+ that much cheaper or no? cuzz if its not go with the 2500+ it will sync with your ram (333) and give you better performance plus it has a new and improved core. other then that... the fastest nforce 2 board is the one that comes with the shuttle XPC's but it doesn't have any nifty extras like the asus ones. you get a case and a power supply tho :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back