Upgrading My Graphics Card, Any Suggestions?

M

mark g

Hi All

I was seeking your opinion on whats the best graphics card around at the moment.

I currently use an Nvidia RIVA TNT model 64 32mb, which is starting to struggle along now, especially with GTA3!

Therefore I am definitely looking to move up to a better model, possibly Geforce 3 or GeForce 4, any suggestions on what model or chipset would be appreciated.

My system : AMD Athlon 1.2ghz, 512mb RAM, 80gb hdd, Atapi DVD Rom, LG 32x Read 4x Write CD & Creative Soundblaster.

Thanx in advance.

Mark

go for a geforce 3 if your on a budget, if you've got the cash to spend go for a geforce 4. keep in mind though, that next generation chipsets will be introduced by august.

If you're going for a Geforce 4 card, at least take one of the Ti series. I heard from a lot of people that the MX series aren't really good. :p

I own a TNT2 Pro Model 64 16 MB. Heh... It still runs fine with common games, but I need to upgrade too. Especially when it comes to ePSXe. Bleh. :D

geforce3 ti200 is less than $100 and a 64mb geforce4 ti 4200 is less than $160, but there's most likely a wait. both are great choices.

Originally posted by Skwowwy
If you're going for a Geforce 4 card, at least take one of the Ti series. I heard from a lot of people that the MX series aren't really good. :p
You are totally right! The GF4MX and GF4Ti chips aren't even the same. The GF4Ti is a new chip developed off the GF3, but the GF4MX is just a further development of the GF2 (I think). Therefor the GF4MX lacks many features of the GF4Ti as well as the speed. Avoid!

Over some days i'll buy an MSI GF4MX440-T . I highly recommend it cause the price reflects its performance .

i have visiontek ge4ti4400...cost an arm...the 4600 woulda cost me my leg.....id rather keep my ability to walk as i have another arm.

works flawlessly using 28.32 detxp drivers

Don't buy MX....
Don't buy MX....
Don't buy MX....
Don't buy MX....
Don't buy MX....

I should write a song about that :D

Seriously though.. If you knew the amount of trouble I had with my GF2 MX you'd never ever consider buying a MX card..

The GeForce3 TI 200 is cheaper and a MUCH better pick than ANY mx based card out there!!

The GF4Ti is a new chip developed off the GF3, but the GF4MX is just a further development of the GF2 (I think)

That is true :)

Thanx for the suggestions.

Looks like I will probably invest in a GeForce4 TI4400, the TI4600 is a bit out of my price range.

Mark

wish i knew bout mx bein shiet....went thru 2 ge4mx cards before gettin ti4400

For a NICE high end budget card......

I'd go with the Radeon 8500LE with 128MB OF DDR ram !!!

You can find it on www.pricewatch.com for under $180 (WOW....actually $135 at the moment !!!!! ), you get 128mb of DDR Ram, pixel shaders, GREAT dvd hardware decoding and sweet frame rates (you don't NEED over 60-70fps!!). The only thing you don't get is the dual display head (oh well) and it's SLIGHTLY clocked lower than the regualer 8500, but you can fix THAT with a miriad of overclocking programs out there!! I hear it bumps up QUITE nicely !!

In fact I think this is what I'M bumping up to...from my Radeon 32mb DDR !!!!!!

4200, 4400 and especially the 4600 are great cards. Any card can give you problems if drivers are buggy or driver install was not done properly. Anyway, the Radeon 8500 128MB card is a true performing card (and a bit cheaper than the 4600). Should you decide on the 8500 make sure you get the ATI retail version. They now come with BGA RAM (like the 4600) and overclock easily. I have achieved 12000+ 3DMark scores with my 8500. Additionally, Radeon image/graphics/color quality is superior to it's leading competitor;)

:confused: Why oh why would anyone even consider a GFMX card. It lack some the basic features. It T&L is not a full version. A GF3Ti200 is better.

If you are on a buget i agree a GF3 Ti200 or Ti500 would be the best idea. Definately go for a nvida based card for the T&L as it is one of the most important features. Take UT2003 for example if you do not have T&L you will missing a big proportion of the effects.

A GF4 Ti would be a money no object ideal buy. Your proceesor is a bit slow for a GF4 you should really have a AMD1600+XP. Excelleant amout of RAM. If you want to keep the processor i would advise a GF3 Ti500.

GF4 4600 is better than the radeon!! In all aspects! The radeons are not worthy of sitting in an AGP slot that has seen a Geforce card!

Another point I have, is that my existing graphics card is intergrated with the motherboard. Would putting in a new graphics card cause any conflicts or would disabling the existing card in the BIOS setup suffice.

To all who have replied, thanx for your ideas and suggestions, its appreciated!

Any ideas on the above point would be welcome.

Disabeling the existing card should be enough - but I've only had experience with dell machines on this and sometimes they are weird ;)

Yeah mate, disabling the onboard VGA can be tricky for the first time trust me!

You will probably have to disable or enable a jumper on the motherboard to do so. Look in your motherboard's manual to see which one.

;)

More on GF4

After work tonight, I will be purchasing a GF4 card. My choices are VisionTek and PNY. Any comments on the better of the 2? I'm not looking for any bundled software or anything. I already have powerDVD player.

Another question: Does the Ti 4600's preformance justify the cost compared to a Ti 4400 or Ti4200? The 2 other cards seem to be quite a bit cheaper (esp 4200).

Thanks

PS: I know my CPU is a bit slow, but I plan on updating when the new AMD CPUs come out.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back