Upgrading Mainboard and CPU under XP

R

rpravda

Hi!

I am thinking about upgrading my system (mainboard & CPU) without re-installing everything I have on my computer.

Is there any way I can do it?

If I unplug everything and plug again the new parts will it work?

What if I reinstall XP only?

Please give me some advice.

Thanks,

R.

eh wot????

mate yer gonna have to provide some info concerning what you have... what you are migrating to... and stuff like that...

obviously if you have a 200 watt powersupply and are getting a top of the line mainboard/cpu combo it may not really do anything at all...

:)

concerning reinstalling the operating system...

well the thing I (and this is my opinion) would do is to go ahead and REINSTALL the operating system...

something to do with BIOS and tihs and that within the sys... I shoulda done more computer engineering stuff rather than just chilling and doing nothing else :)

ah well...

if thats all you were looking for... please go ahead and do reinstall... it might save you hassles later such as crashes and performance issues...

BUT please DO wait to see what other experts say... I am not as good as most of the other people when it comes to hardware stuff :)

I see... re-installing is suggested...

then should I do it over my old installation or just install it over what I have?

By the way, I am thinking about migrating from a Athlon 900 Mhz to an XP 1900+. That includes changing mainboard and memory.

Thanks

:) can't remember what site I read this on... but they say you can actually just do a whatsit? um a repair or whatever or install over what you have... and that SHOULD work...

but I go with catch23 on the thing that you have to reinstall fresh... corse remember you can go out and buy a few items that will allow you to migrate all stuff on one hdd to another by making a mirror and exporting it... norton does it as well with systemworks...

you can do that... if you have 2 hdd's... or however anyone else suggests it :D

Honestly, I would be suprised if XP would even boot with new mainboard and processor etc...

If you didn't want to re-install I would say go into safe mode and delete all the drivers for EVERYTHING, turn off PC, install new parts, turn on PC, and hope all is well, but it would be better to just re-format and re-install with the new setup (this is what I myself am doing).

Also, when you re-install, DEFINITELY re-format your hard drive, it will save you sooooo many problems in the future, and use NTFS file system, it makes using XP alot easier in that if you have hardware issues, it is less likely that you will lose valuable information if you lock up.

I do have an extra hard drive to try reinstalling everything, but doing so is just such a mess...

Anyone had a positive experience avoinding that?

I guess catch I will follow yout advice, but I insist.. is a mess, I am the one who is going to spend the next 10 nights installing all this software...

like you said, is good to do it once ina while, but.... twice a year??????????????'

Tnx.

mobo upgrade always clean install:)....better safe than sorry:)

twice a year format?..........more like four to six.........maybe im obsessive compulsive...lol:)

not that much trouble to reformat anyway......unless you have no backups for your prgrams:(

Quote: "By the way, I am thinking about migrating from a Athlon 900 Mhz to an XP 1900+."

Are you sure that's a good idea? Let's see, you'll only gain another few hundred MHz. Switch to a P4 and you'll not only be gaining over 1000MHz but you will be launched into the current century!:)

WinXP will boot with a completely different mobo. It will boot with anything. You will need to re activate if you change more than 4 components or 6 if you have a network card.

If the whole mobo chipset is different then XP will ignore the former chipset drivers it was using and install new ones.
Because of this I would recommend a complete format and reinstall as that would remove the old chipset drivers.

When it is all working then you will need to run windows update if you got an Athlon XP as there is an update there for AthlonXP based PCs.

I upgraded my MB and CPU and got XP to boot without reinstalling but the upgrade was not that drastic as both MB's were Asus and both chips were P4's. Just had to call Microsoft to reactivate.

Ok, maybe it was my fault that it wouldn't boot...(I break computers so I can "fix" them ;))

Anyway, I would re-format and re-install just because Windows needs it...but...you're also talking to the person that re-formats every 2-3 weeks just because:

A.) That's how long it takes him to screw up Windows.

and

B.) He puts on so many programs, and downloads so much stuff, that he would have to buy another hard drive if he didn't...

Originally posted by SnookBooger
Quote: "By the way, I am thinking about migrating from a Athlon 900 Mhz to an XP 1900+."

Are you sure that's a good idea? Let's see, you'll only gain another few hundred MHz. Switch to a P4 and you'll not only be gaining over 1000MHz but you will be launched into the current century!:)

Actually, he will gain equivalent of more than 1000Mhz, and, if he switched to a 'faster' P4, he wouldn't be launched any further than with a 1900+ Athlon XP...how many home desktop PC programs you know of that require more than even 1.2 Ghz? And, I remind you, that on average, a 1900+ XP will do more work than a 2.6 Ghz P4, just because AMD:

1.) Lists their processors performance below what they actually perform at.

and

2.) AMD does not use burst technology like Intel, so if you're playing a game, you're getting the best experience possible with your processor, rather than whatever your processor decides is 'good enough.'

Also, if you want to pay 3x as much for the Intel and about the same amount for a mobo, then comes that expensive Rambus RAM, when you already have enough DDR...

Iv'e often wondered why we are still single processor bound. By now we should be operating boards with at least four processors, the technology to do this has been around for ages, but not implemented. Each new generation of procesor or operating system seems to be realsed in favour of the latest and fastest hardware as proposed by Intel or AMD which sell you single comodities, tree-top based.

Leaps in technology are not required, no special chip-sets are needed, only user pressure.

Multi-processor systems have been in common use for more than ten years but seemingly hidden from most people. It was possible more than five years ago to implement this but no motherboard designs within reach of the normal user budget have appeared (with notable exeptions in recent years); and these are usually dual processor systems boards that require CPU's from the same dye run.

Who cares if your running a 2.4gig P4 or AMD 2.00. If you have a board that supports 24 486x25Mhz you will blow them all away if the glue logic has been designed correcly.

Dave H

PS your brain cells (induvidually) work at the same speeed as an old 25Mhz 386 processor. The trick is that you have billions of them all working together.

Yeah...something about their L2 caches having conflicts with each other since the L1 cache is mirrored in it's entirety in the L2 cache I think...

And yes, it would be nice to have multi-processor boards, but there are a few problems with this...cooling, power, design of the board, the operating system (XP Home only supports one processor) etc...

But for everyone's information, if this sort of thing were commonplace, the AMD machines would indeed be faster, mostly since AMD processors cost about 1/3 of their Intel counterparts.

anyway, back to upgrading CPU's. i'm about to get a p3 850Mhz and put it in. so maybe its a pin 370 and i have a slot 1 receptor, but i bought a slocket adapter and god i hope it works. i really don't like reformatting my harddrive. and i'm not particularlly intrested in reinstalling windows. i'm getting a GF3 Ti500 in the mail monday, and i'm just going to put that in too. so, is there real concern about windows messing things up? or worst case, i have to call microsoft to reactivate/put my old processor back in becuase my new one doesn't work?

and its not becuase i love pentiums, its just that i have a 3 year old computer, and i don't want to spend lots of money upgrading it, so i just got a faster processor and a better video card, since everything else works pretty good. i would've gotten a 1GHz or a Powerleap 1.4GHz, but 1) i didn't know about the powerleap combo and 2)Dell lied to me and said the fastest processor my board could hold was 850. (all that was sort of my disclaimer for anyone who was going to say "you should've gotten an AMD) oh, and i know i said i was going to build a computer a while back, but then i realised that i didn't want to spend $2000, and cut back to $300.

Ok, sounds cool...FYI, you can build a good AMD system for under $1200 if you have monitor/mouse/keyboard.

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
Iv'e often wondered why we are still single processor bound. By now we should be operating boards with at least four processors, the technology to do this has been around for ages, but not implemented. Each new generation of procesor or operating system seems to be realsed in favour of the latest and fastest hardware as proposed by Intel or AMD which sell you single comodities, tree-top based.

Leaps in technology are not required, no special chip-sets are needed, only user pressure.

Multi-processor systems have been in common use for more than ten years but seemingly hidden from most people. It was possible more than five years ago to implement this but no motherboard designs within reach of the normal user budget have appeared (with notable exeptions in recent years); and these are usually dual processor systems boards that require CPU's from the same dye run.

Who cares if your running a 2.4gig P4 or AMD 2.00. If you have a board that supports 24 486x25Mhz you will blow them all away if the glue logic has been designed correcly.

Dave H

PS your brain cells (induvidually) work at the same speeed as an old 25Mhz 386 processor. The trick is that you have billions of them all working together.
1. It's expensive.
2. A multi CPU system requires multi-threaded applications designed for the amount of processors you have to work at it's best. For instance a single-threaded application (like most) will run just as fast on a single CPU system as on a double CPU system.
3. It's complicated. It requires more controller circuits to distribute the computations (thus see 1).
4. That board of 25 486x25MHz would be really big. And require a BIG power supply. And run HOT++.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back