Upgrading, input plz!

sidefx

OSNN Addict
I am planning on doing an upgrade to my pc and here are the components I was looking at purchasing. Any input as to the components I plan on getting I should maybe change or be careful of please advise me.

ASUS A7N8X-X NVIDIA nForce2-400
Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) w/ 512K L2 cache
MSI GeForce FX5200-TD128 128MB DDR w/ TV-Out
Western Digital 120GB w/ 8MB cache
KingMax 512MB PC-3200 DDR400 SDRAM

what do you plan to do with the computer? What you do can help us advise you better.

Yharn said:
what do you plan to do with the computer? What you do can help us advise you better.

I am not an extreme gamer but I do like to play many types of games and especially the newer ones that are coming out such as NFS Underground and many of the 3d shooters. I use my pc for gaming, surfing, chatting, word processing and image editing(photoshop).

i would ditch the 5200 and get a ti4200. or if you do get the 5200, just get a 64mb one since 128's overkill for a slow card like that.

rest of it looks good. :)

Taurus said:
i would ditch the 5200 and get a ti4200. or if you do get the 5200, just get a 64mb one since 128's overkill for a slow card like that.

rest of it looks good. :)

he might actually achieve swapping over 64mb with the card I would think... specially with some of the 3d shooters and nfs-U..

but any of the gf4 ti's should be enough to handle your requirements as taurus said m8...

DO NOT GET THE 5200 ^_^ (horrible horrible horrible)- what's your budget on video card?

oh and try and get the pc3200 geil value ram at newegg - it'll probably be cheaper then the kingmax or whatever and peforms awesome according to reviews-

I agree with the GF4... By the way, 2800s are not much more expensive than 2500s these days.

tell us your budget for everything to maybe we can steer u in other directions =)

I am dealing in CAN funds and right now I am approaching $700 with this upgrade as currently listed. I DO NOT want to spend more than this on an upgrade otherwise I am better off buying a whole new setup which I currently cannot afford.

I would ditch the Western H drive in favour of Hitachi Deskstar.....this has consistently better performance especially on 8 Mb Cache.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back