Upgrading a P4 2.4, but what to?

WildHare

OSNN Junior Addict
Hello all, and HAPPY 4th of JULY! I'm a frequent reader, but infrequent poster who couldn't find what I want with search like normal. :)

I have been running this P4 2.4 GHz for 2-3 years now and am thinking it's time to upgrade. But I have not paid attention to processor technology in that time.

Seems like I can upgrade to a P4 3.0 GHz Prescott and a new heatsink, or I can replace the board and go to a Core 2 Duo or similar non-intel chip.

I have an ASUS P4S800 MB currently with 1.5 Gb ram, NVidia GeForce 7600 GS. I am not a hardcore gamer, but like good performance playing Civ 4 or whatever first person shooter I am into. My current setup isn't terribly slow, and it will do most everything, but I am noticing that new games are requiring so much that my P4 2.4 is near the "minimum requirement".

So here's my question: Where are the best sources of information to help my decide whether to spend a little or a lot? I want to learn about the new intel processors, non-intels, and how they would compare to a simple Prescott upgrade.

Open to advice on other things to consider as well. Thanks for reading and chiming in if you have ideas.

resources? well.. mm.. u can look for models and prices at newegg and then google the name for some reviews and benchmarks

right now core 2 duos seem to be a pretty sweet deal.. and ddr2 ram being so inexpensive these days only makes it better

but... if u think ur current setup is good enough, u can always wait
in about 6 months intel is gonna have its new lineup out, the nehalems (which will come with integrated memory controllers, finally gettin rid of the fsb)

upgrading ur current setup doesnt make much sense, ur cpu is old, and a high end model will be espensive for the improv it will show... i would suggest u wait till u HAVE to upgrade

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back