Upgradin Hardware

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I am upgradin my hardware or more specifically my CPU, RAM, HSF, Mobo and Gfx Card. Possibly my DVD Drive and CD RW drive.

So tell me what you think of this (ie good idea/bad idea)

Please no Intel/AMD Bashing

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ or 2600+
Abit KD7-RAID
512MB RAM PC2100 DDR
ThermalTake Volcano 9
GeForce 4 Ti 4600 w/128MB vRAM TV-Out

Then two other possible upgrades are my CDRW drive and my DVD drive into one DVD+RW/CDR(W) drive and maybe upgrade my Nec MultiSync E700 to a LG 1015S TFT monitor.

Posted by Geffy
I am upgradin my hardware or more specifically my CPU, RAM, HSF, Mobo and Gfx Card. Possibly my DVD Drive and CD RW drive.

So tell me what you think of this (ie good idea/bad idea)

Please no Intel/AMD Bashing

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ or 2600+
Abit KD7-RAID
512MB RAM PC2100 DDR
ThermalTake Volcano 9
GeForce 4 Ti 4600 w/128MB vRAM TV-Out

Then two other possible upgrades are my CDRW drive and my DVD drive into one DVD+RW/CDR(W) drive and maybe upgrade my Nec MultiSync E700 to a LG 1015S TFT monitor.

here's my recommendations...

should cost around same total as what you are getting.... please do not flame me on my recommendations... in my view they will give best overall performance and are along lines of original selection...

I would get the 333fsb 2600+, same price as regular 266fsb cpu on pricewatch and such...

I would get an nforce2 mobo if possible... either asus/chaintec/leadtek nforce2 based board.. has excellent built in audio and has dual channel DDR... therefore would consider getting identical ddr2700 256 or get one and get something else later the same when prices go down... much better overall performance than the via chipsets and SiS chipsets...

thermaltake volcano 9 is nice... though loud and not best cooler on market... consider swiftech fans... for uber control.. with a smartfan2 from thermaltake (oh the irony lol)

also consider the newly retailing radeon 9500pro... it matches or beats performance of the ti4600 and costs less and is a dx9 part.. has better performance on AA and FSAA than the older gf4 ti lineup...

How can I tell if the CPU is 333fsb, I am lookin at Dabs, and they give you no info.

Are there any nForce2 mobos with RAID onboard, if not which are the best RAID add on cards, I have heard of Promise, but dont know much about them.

Thanks to the pointer to Swiftech am checkin them out.

I will look at the Radeon as well (I am one of those people sceptical about putting dishwasher detergent in my PC)

Radeon was a dishwasher detergent a while ago

Oh yeah does anybody know of some good UK online retailers. I need to save as much money possible and Dabs is effin expensive.

Right I have done a bit more digging

Now my ideas are

Chaintech 7NJS mobo (if I can find an online distributor that has it)
Athlon XP 2600+ 333fsb (if I can find it anywhere for sale)
2x256MB DDR400 or DDR433 RAM modules

Gfx, by either GF4 Ti 4600 or Radeon 9500 (need to find prices)

Ill tell you what geffy
I own Wildcat computers as you know. Ill get you all the american hardware and send it to you in a big ass box if you pay shipping. I can get you any AMD cpu up to 2700+ from my distributers and any Nforce2 or via kt-400 solution. Also if you really wanted to go ballz to the wall I have access to ddr3200 and ddr 3500 even. As for video buying a geforce 4 isnt going to be worth it. Wait for the geforce fx and dont worry about a video card.

Damn, I read your post too late Ace123, I ordered the stuff this afternoon.

Asus A7N8X
AthlonXP 2600+ 333fsb
2x256 PC2700 RAM
ThermalTake Volcano 9+ CoolLED

I went with the volcano 9, as it was cheaper than the swiftech heatsinks, and I only got a £500 credit limit on my card.

Thanks for your help Sazar, and I will remember that Ace123.

I might need to get a Video Card later next year Ace

Sounds good to me. Ill be holindg an nvidia geforce fx for ya lol

No not yet. Im trying to get established here with good roots so I can spend $2000 dollars to get a real good internactice website. Geffy I also BUY old parts if you have any. All I really do is build systens for people on my spair time while im not at work. Brings in some extra dough. Pretty soon Im going to be opening a shop some where and devote all my time into it. But for now I build systems for system integraters and customers that want high end computers that kind of stuff.

No my buissness is registered in oregon no IN. Plus That web site sucks lol. I want to offer a little (ALOT) more veriety and services when I get my website up. I want to do mostly High performance systems built to specification and a little computer repair and upgrade. Stuff like that. I think it will be like wildcatcomputerscc.com or something lol

thats good, I had been under the impression you had taste and that website had me wondering.
Good to know my confidence in your sense of taste is well put

For UK PC stuff retailers I really reccomend Novatech - I have always used them, and they have always beaten any other prices I have seen. www.novatech.co.uk - they rule :p

And one suggestion - do not upgrade seperate CDRW and DVD drives into one combo drive, seperate ones are better imo - as the drives on their own are faster, and its always better to be able to have two CD's in your PC at once instead of one :)

LoL ace can I get an Geforce FX for free? I'm poor and I have no money... :::laughs:::

Yeah novatech are one of the retailers of Chaintech hardware in the UK, but they didnt have the 7NJS mobo.

Other good UK retailers are:
scan.co.uk
microlanduk.com
aria.co.uk

a good site to check prices is:
pcreview.co.uk (look under features)
pcindex.co.uk

Lol dude I cant even get a geforce fx for free. But I will have a 16 meg ati card I'll send you for free lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back