Upgrade to AMD Sempron 2800?

lad_in_brum

OSNN Addict
I currently have an AMD athlon 2200 running at 1.8.

Is it worth me upgrading to an AMD Sempron 2800, which looking at articles the Sempron suns at 2Ghz not much more than my current processor, however the fsb is 333.

Will I notice much diference if I upgrade?

What is the difference between the Athlons and the Semprons?

I use the PC for some gaming (Have half life 2), but mainly downlaoding etc.

sempron are infact athlon cores on the newer socket (745).
IMO the athlon you have is way better, semprons are like the Celeron from Intel. So instead of getting that proc, why dont you try overclocking your processor? im sure you could easily oc it up to 2.4ghz on stock cooling. with the money saved you could get more ram or better graphics, which will serve your system a lot better then upgrading to Sempron.

just to give you an idea an athlon xp 2200+(1.8ghz) can beat a Intel P4 2.8ghz at some tests! even though it costs about $140 less!

so its better if you stick with ur current processor, maybe you can donate the saved money to some charity like cancer research, Christmas is really close, so be good and Santa will reward you ! :p. Maybe an AMD64 FX-55 will magically appear in your stockings....:D

the sempron is a decent solution to get...

if you are indeed going that route you can always look into getting a canterwood setup with a p4 C and be happy with the performance there...

the sempron's are stripped down a64 based cpu's... they are fast and powerful... but they are not all conquering like the a64's...

for the price point though, they are the best items out there...

The boost on the FSB is what you will notice. I have heard nothing bad about Sempron's. So far as CPU speed, don't be misled, work per cycle on AMD's is much higher and so they don't need to run as fast.

I went from a 2100 to a 2800 XP and noticed a difference, but I also had a 9800 Pro that was being limited by my processor (and still is!). If your card is a Radeon 9500/Geforce FX 5600 or less, you might not be satisfied with the results.

Do you have a 754 board, or an Socket A board? If you already have a 2200 Socket A, you might be able to save a little. See if your board supports a 3200. The motherboard combos on this page might give you some buying ideas too.

Info on Semprons:

Only the 3100 is socket 754 (a stripped down AMD64). The rest of the Sempron line is built on the Socket A Barton core, only they have 1/2 of the L2 cache.

Info on Semprons:

Only the 3100 is socket 754 (a stripped down AMD64). The rest of the Sempron line is built on the Socket A Barton core, only they have 1/2 of the L2 cache.
right on dreamliner77 ..........

but even on the 754, a socket A athlon 3000+ can beat the socket 754 sempron 3100+.

i dont agree with you Sazar, price wise an athlon xp offers more bang for the buck.

I disagree. I have installed several Semprons and am pretty surpised about the performance:price ratio. Dollar for dollar, a retail Sempron 2200+ at $50 is much better than a Celeron 2.2GHz at $85.

I already have an athlon 2200 in my PC. Will I notice much difference if I upgrade it to a sempron 2800?

lad_in_brum said:
I currently have an AMD athlon 2200 running at 1.8.

Is it worth me upgrading to an AMD Sempron 2800, which looking at articles the Sempron suns at 2Ghz not much more than my current processor, however the fsb is 333.

Will I notice much diference if I upgrade?

What is the difference between the Athlons and the Semprons?

I use the PC for some gaming (Have half life 2), but mainly downlaoding etc.

So why are you upgrading? Is it because you are having performance issues or is it because you just want to go faster? If it is the latter, I'd wait until PCI Express becomes more common and 64-bit CPUs are better supported, as I'd imagine that most people with Athlon 64s are mostly using the 32-bit end right now.

I have an Athlon XP 2400+, and I know that things could always be faster, but I think that, unless you are really hitting the wall, I'd wait.

Melon

melon said:
So why are you upgrading? Is it because you are having performance issues or is it because you just want to go faster? If it is the latter, I'd wait until PCI Express becomes more common and 64-bit CPUs are better supported, as I'd imagine that most people with Athlon 64s are mostly using the 32-bit end right now.

I have an Athlon XP 2400+, and I know that things could always be faster, but I think that, unless you are really hitting the wall, I'd wait.

Melon

well the a64's lack of support wrt 64 bit applications is hardly a drawback given the sheer performance delta v/s the competition...

:cool:

nah im too lazy to read......anyways i don't trust xibitlabs, if it was on anandtech then i guess i'd have a read......

Sazar a mobile athlon 3000+ is pretty good and cheap...... i really dont see the need to go for 64bit, thing is Intel had their HT so AMD needed something more to convince customers so they came up with 64......must a marketing tactic IMO.

use em before you make that correlation elektro :)

I have owned and used all the current and recent mainstream processors out there so when I make a comment, I am making it from personal experience and the general technical knowhow I have on these products...

the a64 is not really a gimmick... nor was HT... if you have used a canterwood or better setup with HT enabled and used applications where HT does indeed help you would note the difference in performance immediately...

the a64 processors on-die memory controller is THE biggest selling point... the reduction in latency and the snappier performance it elicits is the main reason I switched from a high-end 3.0C setup to my current processor setup... that and the Cool n Quiet feature (ie speedstep or powernow style tech)

whether or not you utilise the 64bit aspects of the a64's is absolutely moot... the CURRENT performance with 32bit products should be the deciding factor IMO...

hey that link was comparin the sempron withe a celeron, so yes compared to celeron semprons are lot better but still i dont think you can compare em to a P4.......maybe if i had a sempron.........another thing is the name 'sempron' seems cheap just like the 'celeron' maybe thats part of the reason for me being anti-sempron..... point taken Sazar........

Someone mind loaning me sempron rig for a day? ;)

BTW Sazar you said you used all the recent and mainstream procs, you must be rich!! you mind me asking what's your job? dont have to answer if you think its too personal or something.......

I have owned an AXP 2100, a p4 3.0C and a 3400+ a64 personally in the past year... my previous laptop was a p3 1.13GHz based toshiba and my current notebook is a dell i 600m with a pentium M 1.6GHz processor...

I have setup for my brother and brother-in-law a p4 based system and an axp 3200+ setup... and also a sempron setup for him... my brother-in-law works @ amd...

@ work I work on a dual Xeon setup with 1 gig of memory and several clients which are all p4 2.x B based...

for my ex room-mate and my friends in tampa I have setup AXP 3000+'s and a p4 2.4C's amongst others..

whenever I build something for someone, I usually burn it in for a day or two before letting turning it over to them...

am I rich? I don't think so... certainly can't afford to be changing stuff everyday which is why I haven't changed my gfx card and processor and mobo this year from what I have :cool: still waiting for nf4 or ati's new a64 chipset to go to pci-E sometime next year...

you don't have to own a setup to be able to work on it ;)

ok mate.........

BTW i did some research, well ill admit it the sempron 2800+ aint so bad.....
but.....but what i did find was that the athlon 64 2800+ can beat the sempron 3100+ at most benches. Also the 3100+ falls way behind compared to the 3.0ghz P4.

thanx

the main difference is the cache and support for 64-bit addressing...

due to the lobotomization of the sempron's, the a64's are pretty much able to hold their own v/s sempron's...

doesn't help that amd's nomenclature sort of bites the bullet with the 3100+ sempron v/s the a64 2800+ as you pointed out :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back