Upgrade or wait?

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
I'm wondering if there's anyone on here with similar system specs that has made the jump from XP to Vista. I know my system will run it but is it worth the upgrade or should I wait til after a service pack or until I upgrad motherboard/cpu etc.. (Also, has anyone had any difficulties with drivers for similar hardware)

Here's my current specs:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard: Asus P4P800S-X (4 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Breeds Hill i848P
System Memory: 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter: Radeon X1650 Series (512 MB) (AGP 8x)
Monitor: LG L194WTX(Digital)
Audio Adapter: Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card
Headset: Plantronics DSP 400 (USB)
Disk Drive: WDC WD2000JB-00KFA0 (186 GB, IDE)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse

I think your biggest problem is going to be memory. Although Vista will run fine with 1GB RAM I find that it performs best with 2GB or more.

I'd wait. The only reason I upgraded was that I got a good deal at the time. I would wait another 6 months or so to get the best OS performance. There are still quite a few bugs around that annoy me from time to time. Nothing too major, but annoying nonetheless.

As MM said, 1GB probably isn't enough either. 2GB is the way forward, though if you bought another GB for your existing system you would need to replace it when you upgrade as you'll be using DDR2 RAM in the future.

DOH.. while I've found temporary fixes on the net, it seems there's no 'Official' Vista support for my 8+ year old SB Live! Value sound card lol... crud.
I'm liking Vista Home Basic (Full) very much though. Everything but the sound card installed flawlessly and it runs pretty smooth.
Undecided yet as to whether or not I want to try the temp fix or just go buy a new card hehe (Probably just try the temp fix.. already bought a monitor and vid card this month).

2 Gig RAM a must have.
The 1650 Pro is probably adequate for Aero...
SB Live WILL NOT be supported for Vista. I have one and checked.
Printer, Camera, mouse and keyboard support is random. Check the vendor web sites.
I saw some issue with some Intel chipsets somewhere, forget details. Check Intel site.

There may never be support for some of your existing hardware.

GG me for not doing my homework... I got the Home 'Basic' version WITHOUT Aero. I see I can upgrade to premium easily enough but they only accept CC payments lol.

i got 1 gig ram and it seems to work fine for me on my 3500 amd.

I would wait, also as mentioned previously, you will have trouble with your soundcard

Exactly if you have a problem with your soundcard then don't bother till it's sorted, though you could dual boot like myself, I'm waiting on a totally Vista complient iTunes then I'm off since I have no other problems with Vista. Well not totally true, did buy a new graphics card and PSU, but it was a GeForce4 MX4000 so I think I'm allowed off with that one lol.
BTW the 1650 card is perfect for Aero, I bought a 1550 and it runs beautifully though gets a score of 3.1 so the 1650 probably wont be much higher, if you really care about the score, or you intend to game,upgrade, otherwise its a waste.

DOH.. while I've found temporary fixes on the net, it seems there's no 'Official' Vista support for my 8+ year old SB Live! Value sound card lol... crud.

No need for those fixes IMO. All I did was go into device manager and manually updated the drivers by pointing the update drivers wizard to the SB live CD.

I would definitely agree with upgrading the ram with another gig. BUT I would also advise looking for an inexpensive P4 with HyperThreading (HT). Your ram will work with one, and your performance would increase greatly.

I have almost the same rig here as my test machine and vista ran terribly on it.

P4 2.53
ASUS P4PE
1GB PC3200
ATi X700

Actually I'm not too surprised its as big of a flop as its been. But the guy asked a question and I answered it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back