Upgading CPU And MoBo with XP

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU to a faster Athlon and also my Mother Board. My board won't support the newest XP or MP Athlons (running an A-BIT KT7A-RAID with an Athlon 1Ghz), not the right version and bios update won't help. But I have read that XP will stop functioning if it sees too severe of an upgrade (some sort of configuration file that's recorded by the system). I had hear that there is something you can do with the XP disk to repair or replace this config file and then it lives again. I would like to know this before I upgrade. My machine is running fine now, and yeah maybe I should leave well enough alone... but. Any help please will be appreciated.

Just did the same upgrade and had to call Microsoft to reactivate XP. You can't copy wpa.dbl to get around it because that's where your configuration lives Just call MS, no big deal.

XP will not go belly up because of a hardware change straight off.
You are allowed I think 6 hardware changes, changing Mobo might alter 6 devices. If you have a network card, then I think it buys you an extra 4 changes totalling 10.

A mobo change will really only affect pre manufactured pcs, as the XP installation can be tied to the motherboard, though I think that they only do this to Laptops. All you will have to do it reactivate, though you are only allowed I think 3 changes per month online, before you would have to call Microsoft and explain yourself.
There is alot of information about the Activation procedures on the XP portion of the Microsoft site.

Thanks all for the info. I'll check out the microsquish XP pages and see what they suggest. Maybe I'll call them also, when I have a couple of hours to blow. Btw Waldo, how long did it take you to get through to evil empire anyway?

Actually got through to Mr. Gates in a very few minutes and, after having to explain to them why I was reactivating so many times, got the new code to enter. Done in 15 minutes. I like to mess with things until they break so I had done several reinstalls before the mb upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back