Updating to Firefox 3

N

Not Bman

I have Firefox 2.0.0.12 and have 51 Extensions installed. Tons of bookmarks, and special settings and tweaks and so forth. I used to be the one updating to the latest available beta of any program, but have not done this with Firefox in awhile as you can see I have it how I want it.

Though I have got the erge to update now.

I want to know, will any of my extension work (or all of them?), if I install the beta will it install over my current version, I read that it will install in a separate folder that you can delete later to remove it, but I was unsure of that.

And if it does install over, if I have to and want to remove it will it remove all my extensions and settings etc, again where I read that it keeps everything, I do not trust the source of it. I have not searched Mozilla's site, maybe I should of, thought I'd get your ideas on it.

Thanks.

no.. quite a few extensions still don't work as of firefox 3 beta 4.. i have both versions running (btw - firefox 3 is WORLDS better on the memory usage front). Installing will have two versions on your machine, but it becomes a pain..

everytime I start firefox 3 after running 2, it rechecks all the extentions like it was the first time it ran on the computer.. and after running firefox 3, the next time I start firefox 2, it does it's "new install" type think and rechecks the extentions and displays the "welcome to firefox" home page. Happens only after I run one version and start the other.

The other oddities: both versions really don't run at the same time - basically, there can only be one firefox process running at any given time (there may be ways around it, but I never bothered to figure it out). Also, seems to keep two seperate copies of the bookmarks - after install, it imports existing firefox 2 bookmarks and then keeps track of them seperately.

Not sure what happens on the uninstall as I haven't uninstalled it - just upgrade from firefox 3 beta 3 to beta 4..

Generally, I've been pretty happy with Firefox 3 beta 4 and don't really use my 2.0 build anymore. I've lived without some of my favorite extensions for now and hope they update soon once the final release or a RC build comes out.

Thanks for all that, sounds like to many problems for me at the moment.

And I was thinking about living without extension for a bit, but out of 51 I need and use everyday at least 25 of them. I really can't get rid of them right now. Sounds like I can get it installed without a problem, but won't be much fun.

Anyone else have opinons or such...

None of my extensions work, which sucks and is the only reason I am still working with FF2.

:)

I tried adding the nightly developer tool that allows you to use you extensions that aren't necessarily compatible with FF 3 to work but it wasn't that useful and some just didn't work right, so I won't be posting it. Just my experience with it.

51 extensions!?

Yup and 98% of them are used at all times.

I just did a test with Firefox in terms of MEM usage and

13 Hours Running = 600,000K Mem Usage and an average of 312,000K steady after 2 hours running. My firefox also tends to run at 80,000K at startup.

I can't wait to get Firefox 3 lol.

I hate the memory usage of Firefox. I know a lot of people who deride Opera but Opera's close controls allow them to manage their application and ensure efficiency. A lot of the extensions as well as the acual application have memory leaks (re: FF2).

Even IE is not as bad and I use it exclusively at work with 10-20 tabs open and no memory issues.

Heh, I use one extension with the newest FF beta(5) adblock :) come to think of it, thats all I have ever really used.

Oh man I can't live with out Stylish now on most websites, works too well.

backing up firefox extensions and all use mozbackup..great program

I use FEBE to backup extensions, bookmarks, user settings, and it makes it into one easy installation file for your next install!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back