Fixed Updated Site

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
I had been wondering the last couple of days why trying to access any page past the main page gave a 404 error and now I see why.

I had thought either the site had been hacked or EP was doing something.

EP - Was this just a forum software upgrade?

Hey AZ!

Made a few changes recently, firstly I got a certificate for all sites on the server so now all pages will use https.
I have also upgraded MySQL, PHP and the other web parts.

I think the 404 were caused by some of the rules in place to make things pretty, think that part is fixed now.

Lastly, also renewed our XenForo licence to bring that up to date, while also taking it from 1.x to 2.x
The CMS that used has not been carried over so am looking at options there, whether it will use what its using now called XenPorta or if this new widget system if it fits.

Got the database doing some serious number crunching in the background, but am still fiddling.

Obviously I have let things sleep for quite some time now so I don't expect anything out of this, but would like to get some new content on the frontpage so it doesn't look quite so out of date but got a few aims here:

- Obviously I had to update everything to keep things secure, there is alot of user data on here and I have a responsiblity to keep things secure as long as the site is up.
- I still have a great deal of love for the site and its members, even if the hay day is gone and would love to keep it active in some form, but you know full time job, married with kid these days!
- Twitter might finally make me verfied.
- Keep a lovely tidy backup because... shit happens.

Anyway, much playing to be done when the database isn't setting a fire somewhere.

Seems like you are still making changes as the main page layout has changed again.

At first I saw three tabs: Home - Forums - Members

Now I only see Home - Forums

So where is members list now?

I am not done fiddling :D
The site basically has a whole new admin as well, so going through each page and section!

Got a few more bits done, frontpage is starting to look more like I want it.

I still have the prefixes in place and will keep using them for news articles (still forum threads) but now you promote articles to the frontpage so it works that way, I am still looking at a way to use the prefix to auto-promote but not there.

I also don't have an RSS feed for the frontpage, so publishing articles posted to Twitter and Facebook is a no go at the moment.

Still customising things as I see them, the XF2 system is very different to everything I have used before, with most of the content being controlled via CSS rather than the templates, but have cheated a little.

I have also enabled login with Google, Twitter, Facebook and Microsoft which is nice.
Site looks great on my android as well, many items auto resize which is very funky.

I only have Google ads, intend to keep it that way, they are added automatically now using machine learning, so of course on some pages it goes utterly mental, but let it learn I guess.

Looks nicer/more modern at least.. even if I did lose being a moderator :) Nice to see the dream still lives on even if no one's here much anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back