update xp cd

B

bruor

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a way to modify the files on the windows xp pro cd so that it would contain the most recent drivers for my hardware i.e. detonators 4in1's etc.? i would also like to know if there is a way to patch the cd files so i could have updates already installed when i do a clean install... :)

bruor, welcome to XP-erience, please do us a favor and do not post the same message in mutiple threads, just post in one thread, if it needs moved or something one of us mods will move it.

Thanks.

:cool:

You only need to post your question once bruor

Moved to Tips & Tweaks

I know what bruor means, with win2000 you could copy the i386 directory to your HD, then expand any fixes/servicepacks into that folder, and even customise the installation with your company's logo and then burin it to a CD so that when it is installed, the servicepacks and updates are already installed also.

Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this on WinXP Home/Pro?

This would be really handy when SP-1 arrives.

Create an iso image of the CD and then add the files you want. Get winimage from www.winimage.com you can make, extract, alter images. So make an image of the cd, expand the files/service packs to another directory, shove in the files you want. Add the files to the image and then use NERO or some other burning program to burn the image. Dont forget to make a BOOTABLE DISC!!

If you need help feel free to email me.

I could, if I could remember the command-line switches for the hotfixes/servicepacks.

@ My old school i showed our IT administrator that it could be done, and I spent a whole week creating a CD with Win2kPro+SP2 + other fixes, which was used on the machines (and got paid for it :D)

It can be done with Office2000/XP also, as soon as SP-1 arrives, i'll be trying to find out what the switches are (unless someone already knows) so I can streamline my WinXP Home installation to SP-1 (and, if I get chance - Office2000 and XP)

thanks for the help with the service pack angle
and thanks for the info about the posts ill keep that in mind in the future

now does anyone have any clue how to get it to use the latest drivers on istall? of course i would have to put them on the but is it even possible ? :) it would be cool to just update my cd as needed so if i ever reinstall i dont have to go through the update of drivers for practically every piece of hardware in my system

DAMN I never thought of doing that. Does anyone has tutorial on how to do this either for Windows 2000 and/or Windows XP... I would love to make a cd with patches and upgrades already installed. I have done the i386 directory copy since NT 4 and the Win98 dir for well ahh Win98 ...very kewl idea TUTORIAL TUTORIAL
:D

i was just thinking about the driver thing i hope xp wouldnt use certified over uncertified automatically or else i would have to find a way to make it think the drivers are certified

soooo much complication for such a seemingly simple task

If I can find time, I'll try and do some research and I'll start a tutorial thread (unless a mod wants to) Ir'd be a really handy topic, as I need to find out anyway & I'm sure many people would benefit from streamlining their XP/2000 installations. I'll let you know what I dig up.

ill be working on it too and ill post here if i come through wiht any breakthroughs

also might want to look into an unattened install too all incorporated in the cd itself

Uber Windows XP CD ver 1 :D

Another idea for the uber version.
You can use this tool sysprep to make the install of XP automatic. You don't have to answer any question during install.
read more about here.

thats my plan of attack so if it goes down i can hit install walk away come back and only have to install software no updates no drivers it would be awesome!

Sysprep makes a file, that's the "answer file". During the installation of XP, the setup will look for the "answer file" and if it finds it, setup will use it during the install to answer all the questions. So you only have to start the install and half hour later you see the bliss mountains.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back