Update To 64Bit Vista

N

Not Bman

I have been running Windows Vista 32Bit for about a year I believe, been quite awhile at least. I haven't really had any issues with it and love it. All the programs I use and games don't have issue running. I am happy.

For the past month or more I have started to notice tiny little issues, certain programs acting funny, vista just doing weird things. And I am pretty sure it's just this install getting old and messed up. So I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit on hand (well both 32 and 64) and have been planning on updating to 64Bit when the chance came around, so now it has.

How much different is the 64Bit version? How many of my programs won't run or even be able to install? How many games will have issue, drivers available and issues? Anything else I should know before doing this update?

And currently (not for long) I have 4GB of RAM, will going from 4GB of RAM on a 32bit version to a 64bit version make a difference? Will I notice anything, I doubt it right?

any program you can run on 32bit will run on 64bit - as for games you can always check that out on game site, drivers are plentiful for 64bit just check nvidia/ati/intel/via etc sites and get what you need, the more ram you have the better the system will perform, as for noticing a difference i doubt it :p

To be honest.... i kinda follow the "why not?" theory. I mean.... seeing as you're considering moving to 64-bit, i can assume you have a 64-bit CPU and such.... so why not use it in the way it was designed to be used?

As for the 4GB of RAM going from 32-bit to 64-bit..... you might notice it. i mean.... you'll actually be able to USE all 4GB.

Flash and some other browser plugins wont work, some CD/DVD burning apps will have problems, and depending on the vendor some printers/peripherals have problems with 64-bit but otherwise you should notice a little improvement in system performance, since you'll be able to address the full 4GB instead of just about 3.25GB. Benchmarks will tell the tale. Oh, by the way go ahead and throw away your floppy disk drive, it will be useless with a 64-bit system. Fill the space with a nice all-in-one 3 1/2" flash media reader. You might want to bookmark this site... http://www.start64.com/

You said some browser plugins, burning apps..

Is AnyDVD, Daemon Tools, DVD Shrink, DVD Flick, DVDFab 5, ImgBurn alright? And I hope those browser plugins dont include firefox and all of its extensions.

Flash and some other browser plugins wont work

I've been using Flash on Vista x64 since it was released without any problems. I should also note that I have yet to find a FF Plugin that does not work on Vista 64bit.

As for the CD/DVD burning applications, the only problem I've ever encountered was with iTunes, but you can download a 64bit version of that now. Daemon Tools works without a problem. I have not tried the others you listed.

Is AnyDVD, Daemon Tools, DVD Shrink, DVD Flick, DVDFab 5, ImgBurn alright?

All the programs above will work fine under Vista x64. You will want to use Daemon Tools with the SPTD x64 driver, however.

If you use AnyDVD HD you should know that the SPTD driver for some reason has been shown to cause slowdowns in ripping speeds with HD-DVDs and BluRay discs.

I have not yet found anything that doesn't work on x64 :)

I found a few things that needed a little gentle persuasion, but nothing that outright didn't work :)

I also should be picking up another 2GB of RAM, making it 6GB. So I guess I would have to either way lol

*edit you know that Vista not remembering Folder views (which is annoying), is that still around in the 64bit version?

I also should be picking up another 2GB of RAM, making it 6GB. So I guess I would have to either way lol

*edit you know that Vista not remembering Folder views (which is annoying), is that still around in the 64bit version?

Yes, it's ******* infuriating. That's really the only complaint I have with x64.

Flashing the firmware for my Razer Deathadder was a pain. I needed to boot into XP 32-bit to install the necessary drivers to then upgrade the firmware.

Running Vista 64 since June. Haven't had any problem that wasn't already present in Vista 32. I actually switched because I added 4GB RAM, thanks to Age of Conan's memory leaks. The game seems to run fine with an overabundance of memory!

The only problems I have had are with obscure tasks such as rotjong's firmware updating. i have not been able to flash my PDA and some weird and wonderful stuff does not work. BUT it is fine day-2-day and I have no reason to install anything else (well until win7) :)

The only thing I couldn't get working with 64bit vista is dungeon keeper:cry:
Other than that, you'll have no regrets.
I run vista with 2gb of ram and have never come close to using it all, even with crysis.

You said some browser plugins, burning apps..

Is AnyDVD, Daemon Tools, DVD Shrink, DVD Flick, DVDFab 5, ImgBurn alright? And I hope those browser plugins dont include firefox and all of its extensions.
dual boot b-man

Been running Vista U 64-bit without any issues and I only use it for gaming so most games seem to be alright, will see if Max Payne has issues when I install it this weekend :p

Been running Vista U 64-bit without any issues and I only use it for gaming so most games seem to be alright, will see if Max Payne has issues when I install it this weekend :p

Dude I couldn't get Max Payne running in 32bit Vista, I doubt it will work in 64bit Vista.

Well thanks guys, now I can't wait till after Christmas, should have new 6GB, 3TB of Storage to install Vista 64bit onto. Can't wait!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back