LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Hi,
Finally I've got my new system up and running :D
But a new problem has popped up.
Firstly, here is my spec:

AMD Athlon 3200 Barton
1gb 3200 DDR RAM
Hercules 9800XT 256mb Classic (4.1 Catalysts)
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Flashed to 1008)

Right, when I run my system at 3200 (200mhz), WinXP is extremely unstable
and crashes randomly.
I've now got it at 2500 (166mhz) and it hasn't crashed yet!
Whats happening?? :mad:

3200 CPU temps are: 44'C
2500 CPU temps are: 41'C
This is with my Jet 7 fan at full blast!!

Finally, this may be nothing but my 9800XT is running at 60'C...is that normal?

Thanks in advance guys!!

I am no expert in temps in terms of computers, but if the processor AND the vid card are both at high temps, I would seriously check the airflow on your case. Are you sure there aren't too much cables blocking the cool air? Try running your system with an open case, then set it to 3200, like it should. Then check your temps.

You can rule out a temp problem with the cpu anyway. Thats no near high enough to make it crash.

You did not say what motherboard and RAM. They will affect stability also.

What speed is RAM running at? Are you increasing RAM speed when you increase the FSB speed? Is the RAM speed and RAM wait states set at the RAM rated values? Is the RAM approved for that MB and XP 3200 processor. RAM is getting very finicky at the top end speeds. Does the RAM have a heatspreader?

What does WIN XP is extremely unstable mean? BSOD, locks up, artifacts in display, etc? Happens when and how often?

On the MB check the web site for FAQ's, bios upgrades etc.

On the RAM you can increase the wait states and turn off "performance settings" to see if that improves stability.

Your case temp is a little high and your CPU temp is a little low compared to what I would expect. But neither shld affect stability. But leave the case cover open and see if that helps any.

Did you install a fresh copy of Win XP after you put all your new gear in?

Nothing wrong with the cpu temp. cpu temp ranges between 35C-55C under normal condition. All depends on your HSF.

LoL,
I kicked myself after I found the problem,
the CPU voltage was set on 1650 default,
I bumped it up to 1675 and it works now;)

By the by, I just ran 3dmark with all my new gear.
I got 17210 :S
Also when I run NFS Underground on high detail 1024x768,
the FPS is crap, almost unplayable!!

weird I can run NFS Underground on 1280x1024 I think with no problems with AA and AF all set to max and I have a 9700 Pro

OK this is stupid,
the 9800XT did not live up to my expectations at all,
the FPS in most games is choppy,
I expected a bit more than 17210 in 3dmark01.

And to top it off, the damn thing crashes in every game I own!!

Am I being daft or is this normal?

Choppiness is very abnormal. The Mark 2001 score is reasonable. Something else is still wrong in the install to cause the video chop.

Old Video Drivers interfering, wrong BIOS settings, clock or FSB setting wrong, software or spyware running in background stealing cpu time, doing downloads or uploads, etc.

LocKStocK said:
And to top it off, the damn thing crashes in every game I own!!

Am I being daft or is this normal?
yeah, everyone's paying $450 so they're games can crash. :rolleyes:

of course it's not normal. troubleshoot. clean up your drivers or just do a clean xp install.

also, isn't 1.65v the stock voltage for a 3200+? :confused:

Taurus said:
yeah, everyone's paying $450 so they're games can crash. :rolleyes:

of course it's not normal. troubleshoot. clean up your drivers or just do a clean xp install.

also, isn't 1.65v the stock voltage for a 3200+? :confused:
yeah it is 1.65v :) and you do have more troubles if your new 9800 is running like that ... I would check drivers and such as suggested above.

I havn't had a crash on desktop with the 1.675 voltage setting
so I'm sticking with that:)
I think this problem may be heat related, doesn't seem to crash
when I start it up and play a game.

Temp after 20 minutes of boot:

Case atmospehere: 65.5'F
CPU temp: 45'C (with Jet 7 fan at full tilt)
Mobo temp: 24'C
9800XT temp: 63'C

You wouldn't believe how many ventilation fans I got on this thing,
its like having a harrier jumpjet in my room!!

well if give your cpu more juice then it needs its gonna run hotter :)

OK all voltages are back to normal (apart from the 9800XT, running at 1.7v)
But I'm still getting lock-ups in games.
Can anyone suggest anything?? PLEEEEEEEEASE:D

did you question the memory?

LocKStocK said:

I tend to agree with Taurus in his first post - esp. if you still have any stability issues in the longer term. I spent ages and many unnecessary changes/re-installs with my new system (ASUS A7V8X-X and AMD 2800+) before finding that switching my 2x512MB Samsung stick for Crucial DDR did the trick.

I mention this because my original memory seemed temperature sensitive and if your temp is running high this could be a factor- esp. as temp may rise with intensive gaming.

Then again I guess if it is just choppy video you may need to eliminate the actual card as the suspect. One dumb question on that though - you do have the AGP 8x (or whatever) enabled in the BIOS I take it?

I run a Barton 2800+ @ 2225.0Mhz and have 8 out of 11 bays occupied so not much through air circulation with 4 IDE Channels !.

Compensate by 2 front/ 2 rear/ 1 side ( see through case ) fans.
Temp in the 30 s.

Also, tried 11x200 Mhz and failed on Gigabyte G7VAXP Ultra board.... so use 12.5 x177 Mhz as compromise.
Maybe thats of help.

LocKStocK said:
Sounds like something is wrong with the video card. Your temps are still not high enough to cause a crash. Try reinstalling the drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back